IDU Football Championship 2018 (Results Thread)

The place for conducting intraregional relations or just hanging out with other national leaders. [In-Character]
Laeral
Delegate

IDU Football Championship 2018 (Results Thread)

Post by Laeral » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 am

Following the 2008 IDU Football Championships, the idea of an international football competition laid dormant. Now, in the interests of promoting peaceful international athletic competition and strengthening the bonds of friendship between nations, the IDUFC has been revived. This annual competition will determine the best football team in the IDU.

All matches will be played in Laeral. Matches will be played at the following locations:
Group A: Parc de Noblesse, Loiraine (53,000); Stade Nationale de Lyrene, Bethune (47,000)
Group B: Stade Cenefort, Cenefort (52,000); Songshan Athletic Arena, Meilinis (41,000)
Group C: Stade International Laeralien, Laeralsford (76,000); Hanshui Stadium, Nanhai(58,000)
Group D: Laeralsford Sporting Center, Laeralsford (55,000); Parc de Auvergne, Cote d'Argent (43,000)

All matches involving the Laeralian national team taking place at the Stade International Laeralien. In all other groups, the location of each match is determined by the Laeralian Ministry of Culture. The quarterfinals will take place at the first stadium listed for each group, while the semi-finals will be at Laeralsford Sporting Center and the Parc de Noblesse, while the final will be at the Stade International Laeralien.

The 16 eligible teams have randomly been assigned to groups as follows:
Group A: Bonalando, Lauchenoiria, Legionas, United New England
Group B: Lumeau, Slokais Islands, Shuell, The Dezreik
Group C: Conternia, Gnejs, Laeral, Verwood
Group D: Gonhog, Libertas Omnium Maximus, New Lusitania, Trive

Laeral will reimburse transit and housing costs for all athletes. Ticket sales are allocated through a lottery system, with 20% of seats reserved for Laeralites, and greater preference given for those wishing to see the team of their home nation.

Each team will play each of the teams in it's group once. The two teams in each group that do best based on points (3 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss) will move on to the quarter-finals. The quarter-finals, and all subsequent matches, will be single-elimination, with penalties used to resolved draws. The winner of the IDUFC Final will be awarded the IDU Cup, as well as the right of first refusal for next year's IDUFC.

Laeral
Delegate

Re: IDU Football Championship 2018 (Results Thread)

Post by Laeral » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 am

Week 1 Schedule:
Lauchenoiria v. Bonalando
Legionas v. United New England
Slokais Islands v. Lumeau
The Dezreik v. Shuell
Gnejs v. Conternia
Verwood v. Laeral
New Lusitania v. Trive
Libertas Omnium Maximus v. Gonhog

Trive
Ingénue

Post by Trive » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 pm

When are the first matches being held?
Trive above all.

Communism is our sworn enemy.
WHITE BEARS FOR THE CUP!

Laeral
Delegate

Post by Laeral » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:32 am

Trive wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 pm
When are the first matches being held?
IC, over the course of the week. OOC, I'll probably post the full week's results tomorrow.

Gonhog
Ingénue

Post by Gonhog » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:55 am

Are we posting IC things here or in our own news articles and such?

Laeral
Delegate

Post by Laeral » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:21 am

Results of Week One
Lauchenoiria has defeated Bonalando, 2-1, in an inspiring victory for the war-weary nation. Although Bonalando's defense was tight, with goalkeeper Yun Bao making an incredible save at the eighteen-minute mark, Liaville FC's Caelen Potter and Annatown United's Tom Meléndez scored one after the other at the 58-minute mark, with Bonalando's Tristan Davies scoring at 81 minutes.

United New England defeated Legionas in a 4-0 shutout at Parc de Noblesse. The Winter Tigers' star forward, Christian Kowalski, was outclassed by the New England defenders, while Martel, Ferrera-Mendez, Lal, and Timir all scored on Legionan goalkeeper Wesntall.

Slokais Islands defeated Lumeau 3-1 at Stade Cenefort. In the 26th minute, Slokais's Trevor Vela scored, sweeping past the Lumean defenders to ram the shot into the net. Several minutes later, Lumeau scored an equalizer, by Manny Benitez. Slokais recovered quickly however, with Santos Smith and Harrington Nagbe scoring around the 70th minute. Following Nagbe's goal, an enraged fan threw a firecracker at Lumeau's goalkeeper Archer Ryley, who sustained very minor injuries.

Shuell's Elijah Cook scored early on, scoring Shuell's first-ever goal in their first international game. Shuell defeated The Dezreik 2-0 in the match. The Dezreikan team was a curiosity to many spectators, as it included female players, a rarity on the international stage. Striker Louise Faraday nearly scored in the 42nd minute, with her shot bouncing off the crossbar before a violent slide-tackle by Shuell's Mason Brown. Shuell scored again in the 81st minute, by striker Michael Gardner, securing Shuell's victory.

Gnejs tied Conternia 1-1 at Hanshui Stadium. In the 36th minute, with the game still scoreless, Conternian defender Damon Erikkson fouled Gnejsian midfielder Jebediah Pemberton as he sprinted towards the Conternian goal. Despite angry protests from Erikkson, Pemberton was awarded a free kick from outside the penalty box. Pemberton scored on the ensuing free kick. In the 49th minute, Conternia's Michael Kubben scored an equalizer. The game ended in a draw.

In the vastness of the Stade International Laeralien, Laeral's national team tied Verwood 2-2, in a match-up between two of the most talented offensive teams in the Championship. The home team, led by Benjamin Germain, started out slow. Verwood's striker David Mitchell scored on a deflection from captain Ethan Hunter in the 23rd minute. Laeral scored an equalizer at injury time (45+2) from hometown striker Hao Jiang. In a goalline scramble at the 51st minute, Verwood's Danny Wells scored, prompting howls of rage from the crowd. Laeral's Jules Song scored at the 77th minute, bringing the score to 2-2, where it stayed despite a furious counterattack by Verwood's strikers in injury time.

Trive tied New Lusitania 2-2 in the first Group D game, held at Parc de Auvergne. After a scoreless first half made remarkable only by a near own-goal by New Lusitanian defender Dalot, both teams came roaring back in the second half. Trive's Mikhail Volkov and Kim Yeong Park scored at the 50th and 62nd minute respectively, only for New Lusitania's André Silveira and Francisco Gama to score in the 80th and 85th minute, dealing a demoralizing draw to Trivian fans.

Tensions were high ahead of the Libertas Omnium Maximus-Gonhog match, given the two nations' violent relations. The first half was entirely scoreless, although LOM's Yasuf Majin nearly scored, prevented only by a miraculous save by Gonhog's goalkeeper Rollins. The game remained scoreless, although there was an altercation at the 67th minute. LOM's Caleb Darkas slide-tackled Gonhogian striker Martinis Bullock violently within the penalty box. When the referee gave Gonhog a penalty kick, Darkas argued with the referee. Said referee then sent Darkas off with a red card, leaving the Libertan team one player down. Bullock scored on the penalty kick and proceeded to shush the booing Libertan fans in the stands. The game ended in chaos as Laeralian police flooded the Laeralsford Sporting Center as fans of the opposing teams brawled in the stands. Several hooligans were arrested, one of them having brandished a switchblade at a police officer, although only minor injuries were reported. Tear gas was used to disperse fans in several locations, and one fan was taken to the hospital.

Following the first week of games, the standings are as follows:
Group A:
United New England: 3
Lauchenoiria: 3
Bonalando: 0
Legionas: 0

Group B:
Slokais Islands: 3
Shuell: 3
Lumeau: 0
The Dezreik: 0

Group C:
Verwood: 1
Laeral: 1
Gnejs: 1
Conternia: 1

Group D:
Gonhog: 3
New Lusitania: 1
Trive: 1
Libertas Omnium Maximus: 0

Laeral
Delegate

Post by Laeral » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 am

Gonhog wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:55 am
Are we posting IC things here or in our own news articles and such?
Feel free to post IC here.

Dezriekian Delegation
Ingénue

Post by Dezriekian Delegation » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:16 am

Ooc; Proper job there Laeral, to me it is more interesting than watching actual football (or soccer if you are that way linguistically)

IC; Early defeat doesn't dampen Dezreikian fans!
Supporters of the Dezreik national team continue to flock to Laeral in good cheer, despite losing their opening game 2-0
Fans who weren't able to get tickets to the game were found throughout Laeral, enjoying the match side by side with their Shell counterparts and anyone else willing to watch the match.
When asked why they had travelled all this way without even having a match ticket, one fan responded with "It's not so much about being at the game as it is just being part of your team, your Nation, you know? We're all here so that the team knows that too!" while another had this to offer "We planned to visit Laeral anyway, the Championship was just the excuse we needed to actually do it!"
Sentiments shared by many of the Dezreikian cohort.

Trive
Ingénue

Post by Trive » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:06 am

Trivian fans stunned, but hopes remain high

Trivian fans all around the multiverse were stunned on witnessing a draw on the national team's debut.
However, Emperor Lynnoux Yakovlev later stated: "Our team's performance was great. I still believe we can win this."
Fans in Laeral seem to have not yet lost hope on the team. Lukas Pinochaev, one of the many fans that attended the debut, stated after the game: "I have to say, this result was not the expected. But I trust in our Volkov and our Kimmy to fill up the net on the next game! Let's go White Bears!"
Trivian fans await eagerly for the next match.
Trive above all.

WHITE BEARS FOR THE CUP!

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Celebrations take place over Shuell!

An excerpt from the National Shuell Newspaper reads:

Code: Select all

The NSBN is pleased to report Shuell's victory over a foreign power in the championship. As any good citizen should know, we have won 2-0.

President Sloan decrees: Curfew delayed until 0100. New holiday promised in event of victory.

Remember, citizens, that if you wish to see a championship match in person, an ID renewal will be required, as well as a deposit and a filling of forms STEPF-00191 and SNSPV-18990, to be turned in to your assigned Record Department office.

ISD Director Mueller makes a public announcement. "Any and all crimes or seditious behavior will be punished. Hooliganism and vandalism is not condoned." Report any treasonous behavior to Internal Security or your nearest Peacekeeper Officer.

Shuell stands strong!

Last edited by Shuell on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Lusitania and the Algarves
Mute

Post by New Lusitania and the Algarves » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 pm

STL|Serviços de Transmissão Lusitana
Sport | Football|
The IDU Championships: Laeral

TOUGH GROUP, BUT POINTS ON THE BOARD
Trive 2-2 New Lusitania - Parc de Auvergne, Côte d'Argent

It was time. New Lusitania had the desire to show the IDU their sporting talent. However, the lack of competition played inside the region were few to none, and so, they hadn't had the chance yet. At one of the conferences, some of the nations supported the idea of such a tournament, creating the IDU Championships. This, of course, would be it's second edition, after a debut one years ago, in 2008, in the beginning of the organisation itself, translating in no appearences from previous entrants.

Laeral, who originally presented the idea, had the honour of being given the ability to be hosts this time out, and so, the Seleção travelled to the Far East, in a country where a lot is based on European Culture meaning the players had the positive of not being too estranged by the culture.
The draw hadn't been to their favour however, getting Gonhog, L.O.M and Trive, basically being in the Group of Death. The Selecção's recent success meant there was high demand for tickets, that wasn't entirely met. Only time will tell if it will all live to expectation.
The first game was in Parc de Auvergne, and it would be the first after the Cup of Harmony run which had halted after a loss to Qusmo in the Round of Sixteen. Patríce started in goal, along with Guerreiros, Dalot and Cédric in defence, Nevais took the defensive midfield position, whilst Breu, Fernando, Armilar and Gama in the centre of the pitch and semi-attacking positions, up front Silveira and Cavalariça today. For Trive, Yuri Ulianov in goal, Fatalis, Konev, Tupolav and Tuschev create their four man defence; Ivanov, Yeong Park, Kusnetzov and Vasiliov in Midfield with Fedorov and Volkov up front.
The first half was underway, and so, both teams entered the tournament officially. The First Half was somewhat boring, with both teams playing in the middle of the park, an occasional break spurred a great run but would ultimately be stopped before the shot. The best chance from the first forty-five was an almost own goal from Dalot who put it wide after a corner situation, meaning at half-time it was all square and goalless.
Jota returned to the squad for the first time since the injury at the Cup of Harmony in the Equestrian States, coming on to substitute teammate Cavalariça.
Trive had maintained the team in its entirety, but pushed for a more attacking formation, which seemed to be reaping results. An aerial pass from Vasiliov was all it took for a goal to appear as it landed on Volkov who smashed it in. The defence still a bit hazed about what happened but worried about getting one back at this point in time hurrying the resumption of the game. The game began once more, Jota managed to get to the ball, but just offside, on the 58th minute.
Four minutes later though, disaster struck as Cédric Silva timed a tackle extremely wrong and ended up with a booking. Not much he could refute though, credit to the match referee.
This free kick was about the best chance, Trive had to bury the game, the ball was crossed and Yeong Park put it in with the header. It was a two goal advantage and it was looking bleak for New Lusitania, with a half hour to go.
The substitution of Breu for Jorge Mário in the Left Midfield position changed that flank completely, fast thinking from the Sporting CL player led to the first goal after a long cross that Silveira used to pull one back.
The second goal came on the 85th minute of play, Fernando shoots the ball upfield managing to get to Gama who dribbles into the box, and scores the equaliser.
Demoralising result for Trive, but a solid point for New Lusitania after a thrilling second half. Next week, New Lusitania will play again in Laeral, but until then, there's work to do.
FULL TIME: 2-2

Around the Grounds
New Lusitania's direct competitors, L.O.M. and Gonhog had a violent and dirty game that was won for Gonhog after a penalty that caused riots and fighting in the stands, making them go top. The local police was called to action.
In Group A, it all kicked off with Lauchenoiria beating Bonalando 2-1, a moralising victory for a nation that has just come out of a civil war, and a win to unite a nation. At the Parc de Nobelesse, United New England thumped Legionas 4-0, which have work to do to get back the goal differential.
In Group B, at the Stade Cenefort, Skolais beat Lumeau comfortably with 3 goals to 1, whilst Shuell beat The Dezreik by 2-0, a match noted for the mixed team of the losing side, despite Faraday's good game.
In Group C, the entire group tied, with hosts Laeral and Verwood going over Gnejs and Conternia on Goals Scored, after the results respectively ended 2-2 and 1-1.
Lots of great football still to come, as the tournament progresses.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEWS and REACTIONS
I: You open the account in the IDU, here in Laeral, what were your thoughts on the game?
VSC: It was a well contested game, I think that on paper it will show Trive were superior to us, and they were up to a point, but I think we adapted well, and were resilient to pull the two back.
I: Some are discussing the validity of some of the referee's decisions, including the Card for Cédric. Thoughts?
VSC: I think that it was definitely a foul, there's reason for a card, it could've been worse. Some members were a bit unsettled by not having a foot in the game, and this will be repramanded.
I: We haven't gotten your thoughts on this yet, how do you feel about the group?
VSC: It's a tough group, I don't think it'll be that easy to get through, but we have to beat the best to be the best and will stride forward with hope and rely on our ability to play the game.
I: Thank you, Victor

I: Also here with us, the second goal scorer, Francisco Gama. Gama, what's your view on the game?
FG: I think we played well to get back from the goal, I think that we were at our standards, positive football. The fact that it was such a tight group proves that the tournament will be very evenly contested.
I: What do you think of the Trivian side:
FG: They´re a great side, and it was tough to get the result we did, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they went all the way.
I: What's your view on the tournament and Laeral?
FG: I think it's a great nation to reboot the tournament, because it's a good confluence of West and East. The fans seem really proud to be able to host, what I hope will be a successful tournament in the future.
I: Thanks for this quick interview, Francisco.

The thoughts of the Lusitanian populace could be summed up in the words of one fan, Marco Gomes, dressed up for the occasion:
"I thought we were done for, after they scored that second one, and all because of a terrible foul! You could feel this cloud for the first minute after that goal over our side of the stadium, but we got one back, we started believing, and we got the point in the end, which isn't a bad start."

Meanwhile, Trive's Emperor Yakovlev commented on his team's performance saying "Our team's performance was great. I still believe we can win this." and that "I have to say, this result was not the expected. But I trust in our Volkov and our Kimmy to fill up the net on the next game! Let's go White Bears!". The head of state also getting into the mood of the Championships. President Jorge Brandão is expected to be in Laeral for the next match, to support the Seleção in person.

RATINGS, AWARDS AND OPINIONS

LUS Ratings : Patríce 7.5 , Guerreiros 8, Dalot 6.5, Cédric 6, Nevais 7 , Breu 7 (Jorge Mário 8 ), Fernando 8, Armilar 7 , Gama 8.5, Silveira 8.5 , Cavalariça 7 (Daniel Jota 7.5) OVERALL : 7
TRV Ratings: Ulianov 8.5, Fatalis 7, Ulianov 7.8, Konev 7.5, Tupolav 6.5, Tuschev 8, Ivanov 7.5, Yeong-Park 8.5 (MOTM), Kusnetzov 7.5, Vasiliev 7, Fedorov 8, Volkov 8. OVERALL: 8

"On paper, Trive should've won and indeed it should've been so, but allowed New Lusitania to get back at them. The strongholds seen in the first forty five were much looser in the second half as both teams attacked much more, giving less support to the defence, which seemed shaky on both sides today. Good football overall, from either side. The Trivian defence however, have themselves to blame towards the second goal which was a silly mistake, though the Lusitanians also had their fair share of terrible moments, like Dalot's near own goal. Early days for both, however" - Hélder Postel, former player and part of the "STL Sport" team

STATS (LUS/TRV)
Goals: 2/2
Shots: 7/9
Shots on Target: 6/7
Corners: 4/2
Fouls: 2/3
Cards - Yellow: 1/0
Cards - Red: 0/0
Posession: 36/64

THE HUB

GOALS: André Silveira (1), Gama (1).
ASSISTS: Fernando (1), Mário (1)
CARDS: Cédric (1Y)
INJURIES: None to Report

World Cup Quals
Top Goalscorers: Silveira, Gama (11).
Assists: Fernando (9)
Cup of Harmony
Top Goalscorer: Silveira (2)
Assists: Fernando (3)

----------------------------------
MATCH PROGRAMMING

IDU2018
Tuesday - Thursday
Matches to be disclaimed by Hosts.
19h45, 22h30
STL 1, STL Sport 1
-----------------------------------
Matchday: Internationals
coverage of the best
STL1 22:00 GMT
World Cup 81, Cup of Harmony 73 & The IDU Championships
The best of the action on STL, your National Broadcaster
New Lusitania in exclusive.
Reach us with your reactions:
#STL #forçaselecção #IDU2018 #LUS
#LUSTRV
STL in association with FLF
MMXVIII

OOC - Great job on hosting, and that great "highlights" results post, it's original and it's quite good. Hope the championships become a regular occurrence.

Laeral
Delegate

Post by Laeral » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 am

New Lusitania and the Algarves wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:35 pm
OOC - Great job on hosting, and that great "highlights" results post, it's original and it's quite good. Hope the championships become a regular occurrence.
OOC: Thanks for your reply! You clearly put a lot of work into it. I'm hoping that IDUFC will be annual in future, as well. I'm hoping to have the Week 2 results out soon.

Lauchenoiria
Global Moderator

Post by Lauchenoiria » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 am

Lauchenoiria Fans Delighted With First Result

Football fans across the country have been celebrating after Lauchenoiria's 2-1 victory over Bonalando in their first game of the IDUFC, which is taking place in Laeral. The victory has united the war-torn nation in celebration, and comes as something of a shock, given the disruptions to the team's training schedule caused by the recent civil war.

The team's coach, Marcos Andrés, told the Lauchenoirian Guardian: "the team have all played exceptionally well, this is an excellent beginning to what looks to be a very promising tournament for Lauchenoiria."

Reactions to the win across the country have been widespread, with politicians from both sides of the capitalism-communism debate, the main factor in the civil war, taking to social media to express their support of the national team. Josephine Alvarez, the frontrunner in the Liberal Party leadership election, tweeted that she hoped the championship would unite the country. While this may seem overly optimistic to some, this result has shown that Lauchenoiria is a real contender in this championship.

Gonhog
Ingénue

Post by Gonhog » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:00 am

Gonhog Notches First Win Amid Tensions
Excerpts taken from Jaken City Times

The Gonhogian national football team notched a win in the first game of the group stages against Group D rival Libertas Omnium Maximus, which was accompanied by brawls and fights between fans from both sides.

The match was a very close fought battle, with the only goal coming from a penalty from the LOM defense in the penalty box. Martinis Bullock, the one who was fouled and who took the shot, put the ball beautifully out of the reach of the keeper into the top right corner.

[…]

Captain Michael Rollins, when asked to comment on the game, said, “You know, we are just a really defensive team... [we] don’t give anything to the other team while we take what they give us and make the most from it.”

Gonhog now leads Group D with 3 points, compared to Trive’s and New Lusitania‘s 1 and LOM’s 0.

Laeral
Delegate

Post by Laeral » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Results of Week 2
United New England vs. Lauchenoiria
At Parc de Noblesse in Loiraine, United New England eked out a 3-2 victory over Lauchenoiria. While Lauchenoiria took an early lead, with Augusto Soler scoring in the 14th minute, New England matched that with a goal by Peter Khoury at the 40th. The second half was action-packed, with UNE striker Luc Martel scoring a magnificent goal that arced in just under the crossbar at the 56th minute. UNE scored again at the 72nd minute, by Jonathan O'Shea, despite a valiant effort by defender Adam Macey. Stewart Steffen scored for Lauchenoiria at the 84th minute, but Lauchenoiria narrowly missed making a goal at the 89th minute which would have brought the game to a draw. This win places United New England in a commanding position in Group A.

Bonalando v. Legionas
Bonalando's famed defense fell to Legionan strikers in a 2-0 Legionan victory at the Stade Nationale de Lyrene, in the southern city of Bethune. Legionas had an early scare, with goalkeeper Ryan Wesntall narrowly saving a shot by Bonalando's Brava Kamau. Legionan striker Christian Kowalski redeemed himself following last week's game, scoring both of the goals in this game, at the 63rd and 74th minute.

Shuell v. Slokais Islands
At Stade Cenefort, Shuell defeated Slokais in a shock to the soccer-mad nation. After a fairly uneventful first half (apart from a penalty kick to Shuell's Ira Richardon, which was saved by Slokaisian goalie Keith Oywanga), Wilhelm Khan sprinted down the field to catch the Slokaisian defense off guard, driving the ball into the back of the net. Shuell scored again by John Hansen at the 70th minute, and the demoralized Slokaisians were unable to get the ball close to Shuell's net for the remainder of the match.

Lumeau v. The Dezreik
In an action-packed match that was largely ignored in favor of the UNE-Lauchenoiria match occurring at the same time, The Dezreik edged out Lumeau, 3-2. Goals were scored by Sergio Gervais and Manny Benitez (Lumeau) and Issac Mendeleev, Mick Holmberg, and Albert Hawking (The Dezreik). In addition to their offensive game, a key component of the Dezreikan victory was the spectacular Dezreikan defensive line, with the Beran triplets on defense foiling multiple attempts to score by Lumeau.

Laeral v. Gnejs
In an embarrassing defeat on home turf, Laeral lost to Gnejs, 3-0. The Laeralites took to the field with a tremendous audience filling the stands of the Stade International Laeralien, with Laeralian singer Leo Su serenading the crowd before the Laeralites entered. Although midfielder Jules Song, playing on in his own home stadium, and Hanshui's Thomas Zhao nearly scored on Gnejs early on, this was the single bright spot in an otherwise disappointing game for the home team. Laeral's strikers seemed unable to penetrate the Gnejsian defensive line, while Jack Wiijk, Didrik Solstad, and Nicolai Lennartson scored in succession on the embattled Laeralian defense. Adding insult to injury, Gnejs's national team is nicknamed the 'dandelions', meaning that the host nation's team lost to a team named after a weed. Laeralian fans are disappointed, although luckily few Gnejsian fans were present to be targets of hooliganism.

Conternia v. Verwood
Conternia and Verwood, two of the most offensively-oriented teams at the IDUFC, faced off yesterday in what promised to be a game to remember. Verwood had an early goal, with Gary Lake scoring from the wing at 18 minutes. Conternia scored an equalizer at 27 minutes, however. As the first half ended at a 1-1 draw, the game had become noticeably rowdier than typical matches, with three yellow cards awarded in the first half. At the 50th minute, Verwoodian defender Bruno Coviello had the ball and was trying to kick it out away from the goal. Conternian midfielder David Kolokovsky swept in and, as Coviello was about to kick, brought his cleats down hard on Coviello's ankle. Kolokovsky, who had already earned a yellow card in the first half for diving, was given a red card and sent off. With Conternia playing with a man down, Verwood's Ethan Hunter, Danny Wells, and David Mitchell were able to score, riding roughshod over the Conternian team.

Gonhog v. New Lusitania
Gonhog drew New Lusitania, 1-1, at Hanshui Stadium. Gonhog's Ashok Gronchi scored in the 52nd minute, after a first half consisting mostly of passing. In the 73rd minute, New Lusitania got past the Gonhogian goalie following a convoluted attack, involving a rebound off the Gonhogian crossbar, another shot by André Silveira which was intercepted by Gonhog's Henry Martin, and finally a magnificent shot by New Lusitania's Francisco Gama which sailed into the upper right corner of the Gonhogian net. The game ended in a draw.

Trive v. Libertas Omnium Maximus
Despite a valiant effort by the White Bears, LOM defeated Trive, 2-0. Although the Trivean White Bears had become favorites of the Laeralian audience due to their irrepressible spirit and flashy style, LOM's measured and efficient style beat Trivean flamboyancy. Luke Brookshire and Ying Lan scored for the Libertan side; Trive's Markus Federov scored in a goal that was overruled due to a violation of the 'off-sides' rule.
Current Standings:
Group A:
United New England: 6
Lauchenoiria: 3
Legionas: 3
Bonalando: 0

Group B:
Shuell: 6
Slokais Islands: 3
The Dezreik: 3
Lumeau: 0

Group C:
Verwood: 4
Gnejs: 4
Laeral: 1
Conternia: 1

Group D:
Gonhog: 4
Libertas Omnium Maximus: 3
New Lusitania: 2
Trive: 1

Next Week's Games:
Bonalando v. UNE
Lauchenoiria v. Legionas
Lumeau v. Shuell
Slokais Islands v. The Dezreik
Conternia v. Laeral
Gnejs v. Verwood
Trive v. Gonhog
New Lusitania v. LOM

Gonhog
Ingénue

Post by Gonhog » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Gonhog Draws, Continues to Lead Group in IDUFC
Excerpts taken from the Jaken City Times

The Gonhog football team continued its hunt for the Cup in its second group stage match located at Hansui Stadium. Gonhog was the favorite of the match against the group underdog New Lusitania and the Algarves, however eventually drew after an uneventful first half.

Midfielder Ashok Gronchi scored in the 52nd minute after a nice bit of play from the Gonhog back. The team moved the ball towards the right edge, where fellow Vaela FC player Sebastian Pokorney crossed the ball into the box. Gronchi met the ball with his foot and drove it past the keeper.

Play continued, and as the game passed the 70th minute mark, the New Lusitania offense sprung into action. Despite a valiant effort by both the elite Gonhogian defense as well as goalkeeper and captain Michael Rollins, the convoluted attack ended with a goal by New Lusitania’s Francisco Gama.

[…]

Coach David Balek, when asked to summarize the game during the press conference after the match, commented,
“New Lusitania was the underdog and has been but continues to perform and continues to surprise Group D. We played our hardest and so did they, the game speaks for itself... (chuckles) thinking back to Rollins’ comment, we didn’t give them anything, they took it for themselves. LOM better watch out.”

Gonhog continues to lead Group D with 4 points. The Hogs face the Trive White Bears next week to qualify for the elimination round.
Last edited by Gonhog on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Writer

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Maximusian fans ecstatic after victory over White Bears

[Excerpt from the Litudinem Herald: Cover article]

After the demoralizing 0-1 Loss to the Maximusian National Team's arch-rival, Gonhog, fans are ecstatic to witness Libertas Omnium Maximus beat the Triuvian White Bears 2-0 in this weeks matchup. "This is the team turning over a new leaf, It shows that we are never gonna take our loss to Gonhog sitting down. It shows that we are gonna get back up and fight and win this thing!" says Maximusian National Team Associate Head Coach, Neil Berker during an interview with the Litudinem Herald on Saturday.

After this victory, more Maximusians than ever predicted are flying up to Learal to see their "Boys" play in next weeks matchup against Group underdogs, New Lusitania. Libertas Omnium Maximus is now 2nd of 4 in Group 4 of the IDU Football Championship, only 1 point behind Gonhog, and hoping to see another victory next week.
Last edited by Libertas Omnium Maximus on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trive
Ingénue

Post by Trive » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:05 am

White Bears dissappoint against LOM - Phantom of elimination haunts Trive

The Trivian National Team has faced a disastrous loss of 2-0 against the Libertans, leading to a fear of elimination.
"Perhaps we hyped too much and played too little." said Markus Fedorov after the match. "Our chances of going beyond the group stage are now slim."
Markus Fedorov scored a goal for Trive, which was called offside by the sideline referee. Libertan players Luke Brookshire and Ying Lan were the goalscorers.
Emperor Lynnoux Yakovlev expressed worriness in an official statement: "F**k. I may have cursed the team."
Trive and the White Bears face group leaders Gonhog and the Hogs next week, on desperate need of a victory.
Let's hope the hogs don't hog Trive's last chance of qualifying for the next round.
Trive above all.

WHITE BEARS FOR THE CUP!

Verwood
Ingénue

Post by Verwood » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 am

Excerpt from the port Lauren Evening Herald

Despite a heavy news week of internal affairs the Archipelago still found time to rejoice in the national football team’s ongoing success in the IDU championship.

Speaking from the team’s training camp in Laeral Senior Coach Andreas Schipelbaum said, ‘we’re proud of what we’ve achevied so far in this tournament but that doesn’t mean we’re complacent. Gnejs are a touch team to crack so the lads will spend the next few days psyching themselves up for what is sure to be a great game whatever the result.’

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:26 pm

40 arrested following post-match festivities in Shuell.

Code: Select all

The NSBN is saddened to report that around roughly 0030, after Shuell's latest victory in the IDU Championship, IS Director Mueller made an announcement to the public proclaiming the shutting down of a warehouse in South Central. Statement is as follows.

"The Internal Security Department has always been dedicated to the protection of Shuell. At 2330, IS Officers discovered a group operating in the South Central area, apparently a part of the despicable UDF movement. Luckily, this group was quickly brought down, and all of them will shortly be sent to the Shuellian Penal Legions. Due to the fact that the ISI has seen activity from the UDF, there will be an increase of surveillance shortly, and the curfew may be shortened."

President Sloan has expressed his displeasure, and vowed to increase ISD funding. However, President Sloan told NSBN reporters the following morning that "Even with the increase in UDF activities, patriotism and support for the Kronos Party has increased as well."

In some good news, more and more citizens have been visiting their Record Department in order to travel out of Shuell and watch the next game in-person.

Shuell Stands Strong! 

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Writer

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Exclusive Interview with LOM National Team Head Coach, Vincent Alfonsi

The fallowing is the transcript of an interview conducted by the Litudinem Herald on December 2nd with LOM National Team Head Coach, Vincent Alfonsi. It was released, in its raw form, to the public on the 5th of December. Many bits and pieces of it can be found in the most recent issue of The Litudinem Herald.

[LH - Litudinem Herald]
[VA - Vincent Alfonsi]

LH: Mr. Alfonsi, you are just coming off of a major victory against the Truivian Whit Bears. I was told that you gave the BOYS one heck of a pep-talk after the incident with Gonhog. What did you tell them? It certainly seems to have worked.

VA: I told them the plain and simple truth. I didn't wan't them to get down after the loss. I told them that a 1-0 loss is hardly a loss. Sure, we lose the points. But that they can't, and shouldn't, loose is their fighting spirit. Gonhog is an admittedly formidable adversary, no way to sugar coat it. They may very well be one of the best teams here. Yet, even against the odds, we held our own against them. Heck, we had more shots-on-target then them until the very end. We had a fluke at the very end, it happens to every team, even The HOGS.
I then told them to just play their best again. That is all I could really ask of them. If we lost, it would be game over. But I knew we wouldn't loose. I could see it in their eyes. I wasn't mistaken. They played perhaps the single best game of football I have ever seen! They were calm. They were calculated. They remembered their training. I couldn't be more proud of them!

LH: Was there a particular player... on either team really... who really stood out as a spectacular player?

VA: There were some spectacular players on both teams. Trive played well. We played well. In the end, it was the plays by Lan and Brookshire that counted, but we can't forget all of the incredibly talented defense and other offensive players who were the catalysts of our victory. I just hope that we can keep up the momentum in the coming week.

LH: Thank you for the statement, sir.

VA: The pleasure was mine!

Gnejs
Writer

Post by Gnejs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:09 pm

The following takes place during the game between Gnejs and Laeral at Stade International Laeralien:

After many trips up and down and back and forth, the two men had finally found their seats on one of the upper balconies of the Stade International Laeralien. The younger of the two was relieved. Guiding his father through an unknown urban surrounding, and then through the maze that was the football stadium, had been taxing. Settling down allowed them both to withdraw from one another. A blessed relief it was, for the both of them. Torgeir looked at his father. The old man was huddled in his seat. Weary, but intently focused on the pitch. When Torgeir was offered the tickets to Gnejs-Laeral from his boss, it had been his partner's idea to bring his father along to Laeral and the IDU Cup. It had seemed a deranged idea at the time, and experience showed it remained a deranged idea.

The old man had lived with him and Mikaela for about three months now, ever since the great wildfires had ravaged the western parts of the Interior and completely incinerated his father's homestead deep in the Hellawiik Valley. In Port Kejm, he had been miserable from day one. And who could blame him, really? He had spent the better part of the last 25 years building and perfecting his stead, living mostly in isolation. In the time he had spent with them, he had hardly left the makeshift hut that he'd set up in their backyard, and Torgeir could count the number of words they'd exchanged on one hand. "It'll be good for him, and you." Mikaela had said. "Laeral is beautiful, and the people are lovely. It'll be a great opportunity for you two to reconnect. And besides, you always said he loves football." She had continued. It was true, Torgeir remembered Hieronymus as a keen football fan in his childhood. But that was a long time ago, and the last thing he had heard his father say about sports was that it didn’t count if it didn’t involve the risk of being mauled to death by a bear.

The trip had been awful. Even though Hieronymus had reluctantly agreed to join him, he had refused to travel by plane. "It's unnatural." He had said. So off by train it was. The trip to the Domnonian border took more than twice the time it should have, due to the wildfire damages sustained to the Cross-Country Railway. The train ride through Domnonia, while efficient, had still involved the two of them cramped together in a small space for days on end. Hieronymus hardly speaking, just staring out of the window, accompanied by the occasional grunt about "the sickness of civilization." On the boat over to Laeral, they had both been sick. When they finally arrived in Laeralsford, Hieronymus had refused to stay in the hotel Torgeir had arranged for them. It was a nice hotel, in a nice part of town, and it was right by stadium. Perfect, Torgeir, had figured. But no. It was too urban, too many peoples, too many lights, too many sounds, machines, smells. You name it, it was too much of it. In the end, Torgeir managed to find a suitable alternative. It was a rundown place on the outskirts of the poorer parts of town south of the river. It was less city, more shrubberies and a few trees. Hieronymus had reluctantly approved.

Before going to the stadium on game day, they had a light meal at what Torgeir guessed was a traditional Ren establishment. He struggled with the eating sticks, but the food was wonderful. To his joy, he could see that Hieronymus also appreciated the food. He ate it with his hands though. He had pocketed the sticks after smelling them and mumbling "decent wood". The proprietor had looked at them funny, although they were polite enough not to say anything. Torgeir wondered if Hieronymus had broken some terrible taboo by eating with his hands, or if it was just his wild and grizzled appearance that drew the looks and disapproval.

Sitting in their spots in the stadium, while the famous Larealian singer Leo Su was serenading the crowd before the Laeralite team entered, Torgeir looked at his father. He had fond childhood memories of Hieronymus. He had been a grizzly of a man back then as well, but there had always been a smile lurking in there between the tangled beard and moustache. He remembered them hiking, his father teaching him to trap game and tucking him in before the two of them went to sleep in that old moldy sleeping bag. Hieronymus had always preferred the Interior way of life, and he had tried to make sure Torgeir knew what that meant, even though they lived their everyday life in a Port Kejm suburb. Trips to the deep woods on the outskirts of the Interior with his mother and father had been plentiful. The death of his mother had changed that, and at the age of 12 Torgeir had been sent to live with his aunt in Briskeby, while Hieronymus had entered the Interior on his own.

As the game between the 'dandelions' of Gnejs and the Laeralians commenced, Torgeir felt overwhelmed by a sadness that increasingly morphed into anger. He looked at the old man at his side. The formidable man of his memories had become a frail bundle of wool and tangled hair. As he was about to grab his father by the shoulder to ask him the question that had been burning inside him for years, Jack Wiijk of the 'dandelions' put one in the net behind the Laeralian keeper. He only noticed because the entire stadium fell silent. All, it seemed, but his father. Hieronymus was on his feet, and with his hands in the air and his full body stretched out, he seemed to have regained his posture and energy of old. He was jumping up and down, shouting olden chants from his native north coast. His dreaded hair and beard was swinging in the wind and he was smiling and laughing. Torgeir was stunned. All of a sudden Hieronymus turned to this son, his face still smiling and his arms out as if he was looking to embrace him. The look in Torgeir's eyes when the meet his made him stop dead in his tracks, and his body again became huddled. There was sadness in Hieronymus' eyes, and as if he had read Torgeir's look, he mumbled "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

As the game commenced the two men looked at each other in silence for a long time. Hieronymus broke the silence and embraced his son. As they were both crying on each other shoulders, Didrik Solstad scored and took the game to 2-0 for Gnejs. Torgeir and Hieronymus looked at each other and started laughing. They got to their feet, started singing the old chants and removed their trousers and started swinging them above their heads (a traditional fan move in Gnejs). As the game continued, and Nicolai Lennartson in the end made it an impressive 3-0 victory for the 'dandelions', Torgeir and Hieronymus had been laughing and singing so much that they both had aching muscles and sore throats. While the surrounding Laeralian's obviously weren’t happy about the results, most of them couldn’t help but smile at the look of the two ecstatic Gnejsians. While leaving the stadium, Hieronymus looked at Torgeir and told him "I really do appreciate what you and Mikaela are doing for me, I want you to know that. And she was right, Laeral really is beautiful and the people really are lovely."

New Lusitania and the Algarves
Mute

Post by New Lusitania and the Algarves » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 am

STL|Serviços de Transmissão Lusitana
Sport | Football|
The IDU Championships: Laeral

HOGS STALL HOPES
New Lusitania 1-1 Gonhog - Hanshui Stadium, Nanhai

After a great comeback against Trive, the Selecção would now play the group leaders, Gonhog. Although, they have just one striker, the Hogs are known for being resourceful, devotiong great part of the team to its defence, playing a 4-5-1.
Patríce started in goal, along with Guerreiros, Dalot and Peralva in defence, Nevais took the defensive midfield position, whilst Mário, Fernando, Breu and Gama in the centre of the pitch and semi-attacking positions, up front Silveira and Jota today. For Gonhog, Jaken FC's Rollins guarding between the goalposts with four men in front of him in defence - Martin, Ribenski, Saulius and Henreich. McKinley, Pokorney, Nurul, Bristow and Gronchi in midfield, and the lone man upfront today, Martinis Bullock.
The first half was underway, and so, both teams were hoping to get the three points. The First Half was somewhat uneverntful, with both teams playing in the middle of the park, an occasional break spurred a great run but nothing came from any of them. Bullock had a decent chance but ended up going just wide, on twenty five minutes. Whilst Nevais almost got the ball into the net it was still a mile to high, just before halftime, leaving everything just as it began.
Costa played once more, showing the great quality New Lusitania also had to offer, allowing rotating with consistent performances. In the second half, both teams playing better than in the first forty five.
Gonhog took the lead on the 52nd minute, Pokorney crossed it in, with the Vaela midfielder Gronchi putting it past Patríce. New Lusitania never gave up, with two good opportunities, one from Jota that went over the bar; and one by Silveira. However, it was Gama that put it away, gracefully and in his usual stunning fashion - one point had been made, but the Selecção were hoping for three. Although, Fernando still tried to go for it it went wide and the single point it was for both.
FULL TIME: 2-2

Around the Grounds
In Loiraine, United New England had an easy time up to now, but Lauchenoiria gave them a few troubles, but edged it in a thrilling 3-2 win. At the Nationale de Lyrene, Bonalando's defence crumbled to Legionas, in what was a terrible day at the office for those defenders. 2-0 Full Time. At this point, United New England are practically qualified with two victories, but a draw with guarantee it, with Lauchenoiria and Legionas on three points, and a disappointing Bonalando on no points, already eliminated.
In Group B, the authoritarian nation of Shuell beat the football passionate Skolais Islands, 2-0, putting the latter in doubt of qualifying. The Dezreik against Lumeau was a secondary attraction to New England Vs. Bonalando on A, but also pulled out the same result, being a much better match than the main event - 3-2, with ample chances for both, a thrilling faceoff on all accounts. The Dezreik's win pits the two teams in second and third playing for that second qualifying spot. Lumeau isn't out just yet should they beat leaders Shuell, but it all goes down to the tiebreak in that case, with the first placed side qualified.
In Group C, the hosts lost 3-0 to Gnejs, on what proved to be one of the weaker matches of the round, with the home side never really getting a foot in the game. The other match put two attack minded sides against each other. However, this just upped the competition with the situation getting heated at times - it certainly was so for David Kolokovsky who received a double yellow, being sent off. This disadvantage put Conternia off, with Verwood coming as the victors by a lone goal by Hunter. All still to play for as Verwood and Gnejs are on four, and Laeral and Conternia on one, which might not make it without touching the ball, as it all depends mostly on the game between the top two. Should they play a draw between themselves, the result of the Laeral match won't matter.
In Group D, the other match was played between Trive and L.O.M. , with the White Bears being defeated by the efficiency of their opponents. Once more, anyone can qualify. Gonhog lead on 4, L.O.M. - New Lusitania's final opponent in the groups - on 3, the Selecção on 2, and Trive on 1 despite the latter two playing attractive football.

POST-MATCH INTERVIEWS and REACTIONS
I: I'm here once more with National Coach, Victor Santa Cruz. Victor thoughts on how it all went down.
VSC: Honestly, we played better today, although it might not be apparent on paper. Our opponents played really well, but we knew that coming in, after their game with our next opponents, L.O.M., a game which we have watched attentively.
I: Is there anything different about the team, here in Laeral?
VSC: Definitely. On a positive side, we keep training better and playing to our best abilities, and there's a real desire to show the rest of the IDU what we're all about. On a more negative side, the defence isn't being as good as it usually is, but we just have to work on that.
I: Your next game is the last Group Stage game, it's against Libertas Omnium Maximus. How do you feel about it?
VSC: From what we've and personally I've seen, L.O.M. don't play the most beautiful of games and usually use any weakness they can get their hands on to exploit. They're an efficient side and they've gotten this far, because of that. It'll be a difficult match, but coming into Laeral, we weren't expecting an easy tournament, the group we got was particularly tough, but you have to beat the best sides to get to the top and that's our vision.
I: OK, that's good. Thank you for taking the time to talk to us.
VSC: No problem.

RATINGS, AWARDS AND OPINIONS

LUS Ratings : Patríce 7.5 , Guerreiros 8, Dalot 6.5 (Carriçe 6) , Peralva 6.5, Nevais 7 , Mário , Fernando 8.5, Breu 7 , Gama 8.5, Silveira 8 , Jota 7.5 (H.Costa 7) OVERALL : 7.5
GON Ratings: [Full Ratings Coming Soon] OVERALL: 8

STATS (LUS/GON)
Goals: 1/1
Shots: 8/6
Shots on Target: 6/4
Corners: 3/6
Fouls: 2/2
Cards - Yellow: 0/0
Cards - Red: 0/0
Posession %: 45/55

THE HUB

GOALS: Francisco Gama (2), André Silveira (1).
ASSISTS: Fernando (2), Mário (1)
CARDS: Cédric (1Y)
INJURIES: None to Report

World Cup Quals
Top Goalscorers: Silveira, Gama (11).
Assists: Fernando (9)
Cup of Harmony
Top Goalscorer: Silveira (2)
Assists: Fernando (3)

MATCH PROGRAMMING
(IDU Championships - Laeral 2018)
Bonalando Vs United New England (STL Sport 2, 17h45)
Lauchenoiria Vs Legionas (STL Sport 1, 17h45)
Lumeau Vs Shuell (STL Sport 2, 20h15)
Skolais Vs Dzereik (STL Sport 3, 20h15)
------- Wed.
Gnejs Vs Verwood (STL Sport 1, 17h45)
Laeral Vs Conternia (STL Sport 2, 17h45)
Trive Vs Gonhog (STL4, 20h15)
NEW LUSITANIA Vs L.O.M. (STL1, 20h15; STL International)
Matchday: Internationals
coverage of the best
STL1 22:00 GMT
World Cup 81, Cup of Harmony 73 & The IDU Championships
The best of the action on STL, your National Broadcaster
New Lusitania in exclusive.
Reach us with your reactions:
#STL #forçaselecção #IDU2018 #LUS
#LUSGON