Olympic Committee 2018/2019 (OOC Planing)

The Olympics! IDU Style.

Regarding the events in these upcoming Olympics...

It’s the summer so we have summer only sports, duh!
33%
I guess it would be nifty to have both winter and summer sports
33%
Honestly, I am indecisive and can’t say for certain
No votes
This isn’t my call to make. It is Shuell’s.
33%

Total votes: 9

Res Publica Melitensis
Diplomat

Re: Olympic Committee 2018/2019 (OOC Planing)

Post by Res Publica Melitensis » Fri May 10, 2019 1:59 am

Yay
Res Publica Melitensis
European Foreign Office

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 am

Voting is closed. A Majority has been reached. The motion has passed.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 am

So, what’s next? Well, we have but one hurdle left. We must agree on the sports list.

Shuell posted his proposed sports list and it looks good to me. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon May 27, 2019 7:24 am

As it is far easier than having to sift through the 100+ posts on this thread, here is Shuell’s proposed sports list.
Sports offered include:

Archery - Individual, Team (M,F,)
Athletics - 100 to 1500M (M,F,) Discus Throw (M,F,) High Jump (M,F,)
Aquatics - 100 to 200M (M,F,) Diving (M,F,)
Association Football (M,F,)
Biathlon - 20M (M,F,) 15M (M,F,)
Basketball (M,F,)
Boxing (M,F,)
Bobsleigh - Four-person (M) Two-person (M,F,)
Cycling (M,F)
Fencing - Foil (M,F,) Saber (M,F,)
Gymnastics - Acrobatic (F,) Artistic (F,) Artistic Team (F,)
Handball (M,F,)
Hockey (M,F,)
Luge - Singles (M,F,) Doubles (M,F,)
Skeleton (M,F,)
Tennis (M,F,)
Triathlon (M,F,)

M and F denote gender.
Regarding the timeline: It’s up to Shuell regarding when the Olympiad starts but I would love to handle the signups and get them up and running before the summer kicks in. My June is looking realy Jam-packed IRL so I would love to get things started within the next two weeks. With that said, you can’t rush these things so it certainly will not be the end of the world if it takes all of June to sort out the list.

North Cross
Mute

Post by North Cross » Thu May 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Yeah, Summertime is just a tough period to schedule *anything* among large groups of people. The past month has been quite busy for me, and the horizon doesn't seem to be any easier.

This list looks pretty solid, to me.

I was only aware of the Bobsled in the winter games. Perhaps others associate it more closely with these games, but I wouldn't have a problem with it being cut if the list needs trimming. Same with Hockey -- there's Field Hockey in the Summer Games? Had no clue.

Inclusion of the Pentathlon and/or Decathlon might be cool. In the actual Summer Olympics, the winner of the Decathlon is given the title of "World's Greatest Athlete," which I always found an important part of the games. But the Pentathlon could be used instead.

I find the modern pentathlon to be a bit lame (including Fencing, Riding and Shooting); and I find the Decathlon to be a bit redundant (four runs, three jumps and three throws)

So, alternatively, we could create a hybrid of a 5-game or 10-game combined event. For instance, if we used the Pentathlon instead of the Decathlon, out of expedience, we could customize what 5 games are included. Personally, I would like to see Wrestling, one of the Running sports, one of the Jumping, one of the Throwing, and one of the Swimming. Or some other combination. Just an idea.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 am

North Cross wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:46 pm
Yeah, Summertime is just a tough period to schedule *anything* among large groups of people. The past month has been quite busy for me, and the horizon doesn't seem to be any easier.

This list looks pretty solid, to me.

I was only aware of the Bobsled in the winter games. Perhaps others associate it more closely with these games, but I wouldn't have a problem with it being cut if the list needs trimming. Same with Hockey -- there's Field Hockey in the Summer Games? Had no clue.

Inclusion of the Pentathlon and/or Decathlon might be cool. In the actual Summer Olympics, the winner of the Decathlon is given the title of "World's Greatest Athlete," which I always found an important part of the games. But the Pentathlon could be used instead.

I find the modern pentathlon to be a bit lame (including Fencing, Riding and Shooting); and I find the Decathlon to be a bit redundant (four runs, three jumps and three throws)

So, alternatively, we could create a hybrid of a 5-game or 10-game combined event. For instance, if we used the Pentathlon instead of the Decathlon, out of expedience, we could customize what 5 games are included. Personally, I would like to see Wrestling, one of the Running sports, one of the Jumping, one of the Throwing, and one of the Swimming. Or some other combination. Just an idea.

All great ideas! Shuell hasn’t been terribly active lately (no one really has for that matter) but I think that the winter sports do need to be addressed. I have been marketing this as a “Summer Olympics” but that means nothing. Shuell is far enough north that they could conceivably have some winter sports I guess. What do y’all think?

Also, anyone good at visuals and/or graphic design is called for a special request. Logos are not nessesary but are realy cool. Anyone with a good idea for an Olympic 2019 logo design, feel free to submit it.

North Cross
Mute

Post by North Cross » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:11 am

Libertas Omnium Maximus wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 am
All great ideas! Shuell hasn’t been terribly active lately (no one really has for that matter) but I think that the winter sports do need to be addressed. I have been marketing this as a “Summer Olympics” but that means nothing. Shuell is far enough north that they could conceivably have some winter sports I guess. What do y’all think?

Also, anyone good at visuals and/or graphic design is called for a special request. Logos are not nessesary but are realy cool. Anyone with a good idea for an Olympic 2019 logo design, feel free to submit it.
Ah ok, that makes sense now. I like mixing and matching summer/winter sports, and actually prefer the winter games, anyways.

I'm somewhat passable with graphics. Over the past year or so, I've been slowly teaching myself Inkscape in order to create flags and banners for myself and other regions. However, I have no freehand drawing skills, and so am restricted to using public vector graphics I can find, combined with relatively simple shapes I can make with the provided tools. I'll see what I can manage. If I come up with anything decent, I'll throw it into Discord, as it's an easy venue for sharing images.

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Apologies, the school year is wrapping up and I haven't been able to be active recently.

The main reason I included mainly winter sports was because of the fact that Shuell is high enough north to be able to feasibly have winter sports take place in the summer - either in stadiums or in the mountains. Also, I have a preference towards winter sports.

I am, of course, willing to trim down the list - I don't particularly mind if some entries are cut or altered.

North Cross' idea about the altered pentathlon/decathlon is also decent, I can alter my list to include that as well.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:50 am

No problem.

Regarding the events. How cold actually is it? If it is like 20 Fahrenheit during July we would have to have all events indoors. I am on the fence until I know what temperature it will be.

Lauchenoiria
Global Moderator

Post by Lauchenoiria » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:26 am

I think it's Shuell's decision about what sports to include, but I'd also like it if we could get this planned so we can start relatively soon!

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:36 am

Lauchenoiria wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:26 am
I think it's Shuell's decision about what sports to include, but I'd also like it if we could get this planned so we can start relatively soon!
If someone wants to put it to vote we can. Pretty much all of the events can be done indoors on tracks and stadiums. I like North Cross’s idea and would encourage the addition of that event. Other than that we are probably good to go.

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Information for those wondering:

The climate of Shuell is similar to a subpolar oceanic climate, that features cold summers, large amounts of storms, little sunshine, and common snowfall. There are on average around 3 months of temperature around 40 °F (4.4 °C) with temperatures rarely falling under 8.6 °F (-3.0 °C). and in the warmest months the maximum temperature is below 56 °F (13.3 °C,) and in the coldest months, the highs are just above freezing, with the lowest temperatures falling far under freezing temperature. Temperatures over 68 °F (20 °C) are generally treated as extreme weather events, even in the summer. In general, the climate is cold and may be uncomfortable for those unused to lower temperatures.

Further up north in Shuell, the hills that dot the landscape rise to become mountains, covered in snow nearly year-round. Many Shuellians travel to these mountains on vacation in order to ski or hunt. The tallest mountain in Shuell is Mount Schwert.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Shuell wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 pm
Information for those wondering:

The climate of Shuell is similar to a subpolar oceanic climate, that features cold summers, large amounts of storms, little sunshine, and common snowfall. There are on average around 3 months of temperature around 40 °F (4.4 °C) with temperatures rarely falling under 8.6 °F (-3.0 °C). and in the warmest months the maximum temperature is below 56 °F (13.3 °C,) and in the coldest months, the highs are just above freezing, with the lowest temperatures falling far under freezing temperature. Temperatures over 68 °F (20 °C) are generally treated as extreme weather events, even in the summer. In general, the climate is cold and may be uncomfortable for those unused to lower temperatures.

Further up north in Shuell, the hills that dot the landscape rise to become mountains, covered in snow nearly year-round. Many Shuellians travel to these mountains on vacation in order to ski or hunt. The tallest mountain in Shuell is Mount Schwert.
So, it is cold but that isn’t really an issue. Most events are taking place indoors anyway. This climate would also support winter events so I say go for it. If you would like to add the decathalon, feel free to do so. If not... no problem. That’s your call to make, Shuell.

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm open to adding the decathlon. Wrestling, 1500M athletics, 200M aquatics, and I'll think of a throwing sport later, I guess. Probably javelin, discus, or something else the program can run.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Shuell wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm
I'm open to adding the decathlon. Wrestling, 1500M athletics, 200M aquatics, and I'll think of a throwing sport later, I guess. Probably javelin, discus, or something else the program can run.
All those sound good. Say the word of confirmation and the vote opens. The full final sports list if you will.
Last edited by Libertas Omnium Maximus on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:22 pm

yes.

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Basketball (M,F,)
Boxing (M,F,)
Cycling (M,F)
Handball (M,F,)
Hockey (M,F,)
Skeleton (M,F,)
Tennis (M,F,)
Triathlon (M,F,)
Figure Skating [at Laeral's request] (M, F, Pairs)
Decathlon - Wrestling, 1500M Athletics, 200M Aquatics, Long Jump, [THROWING SPORT] (M,F)

Due to an issue with my laptop making me need to hard reset it, I will need to check xkorinate to see if Long Jump and a throwing sport are available.
Last edited by Shuell on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Shuell wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 pm
Basketball (M,F,)
Boxing (M,F,)
Cycling (M,F)
Handball (M,F,)
Hockey (M,F,)
Skeleton (M,F,)
Tennis (M,F,)
Triathlon (M,F,)
Decathlon - Wrestling, 1500M Athletics, 200M Aquatics, Long Jump, [THROWING SPORT] (M,F)

Due to an issue with my laptop making me need to hard reset it, I will need to check xkorinate to see if Long Jump and a throwing sport are available.
Ok, this is going to vote now. The throwing sport (as long as it is a throwing sport) is all we need to have for that part of information.

The sports list is now at vote.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Voting Anouncement Voting is Closed. The Motion has passed.

Proposed by Shuell

At Vote: Shuell’s sports list to be used as the list of events in the upcoming Olympics.

Vote Opened: 6/10/19 3:00 PM EST

Vote Ends: 6/15/19 3:00 PM EST

A >50% majority of votes is needed for the solution to be adopted.

Please vote yay nay.

Votes in favor:
Lauchenoiria
Shuell
North Cross
New Lusitania
Christos
Zamastan
UNE

Votes against:
Laeral
Last edited by Libertas Omnium Maximus on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:52 am, edited 9 times in total.

Lauchenoiria
Global Moderator

Post by Lauchenoiria » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 pm

Yay

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:25 pm

yay

North Cross
Mute

Post by North Cross » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 am

Yay

...Just as a slight pedantic correction: the "decathlon" should be a "pentathlon," unless I'm mistaken, as it's 5 sports rather than 10. Glad you liked the idea, thanks :)

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Cabinet Minister

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 am

North Cross wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 am
Yay

...Just as a slight pedantic correction: the "decathlon" should be a "pentathlon," unless I'm mistaken, as it's 5 sports rather than 10. Glad you liked the idea, thanks :)
Noted. Yeah, we will adjust that on the signups. Decathlon Pentathlon

Interestingly, we have a perfect 50 Events. This means 150 medals to give out.

New Lusitania and the Algarves
Ingénue

Post by New Lusitania and the Algarves » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Interesting idea in mixing some winter and summer sports together, as well as a Greco-Roman Pentathlon. Sure it doesn't have some of the usual sports, but I think that for a first edition it's good enough. Yay.

Laeral
Cabinet Minister

Post by Laeral » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Nay. Nothing personal, but I enjoy winter sports a lot, and I feel like they're being a bit marginalized here. Skeleton, but no figure skating? If this sports list passes, I'll be able to do some RP things based on that, though.