language test

For the discussion about daily issues and the creation of new issues
Gnejs
Writer

language test

Post by Gnejs » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:27 pm

One of the parties in Sweden has been pushing for a mandatory language test for immigrants. The idea is that before becoming swedish citizens, people would have to take this test. Only imagination stops what would happen if they failed. I had something like this in mind for a daily issue.

"A member of a minor party in the *COUNTRYNAME* parliament recently proposed the idea of a mandatory language test for becoming a citizen of *COUNTRYNAME*

1. "Knowing how to speak *countrylanguage (for example, "gnejsian")* is one of the most vital aspects of being a citizen, says *sillyname*, parliament member and chairman of the "Kick-em-all-out think tank". Just think of the job market, if you can't make yourself understod, you're gonna have a hell of a time getting the job done, am I right? Of course we would provide some education for the newcomers, but if they can't deliver on test day.. Kick em out!

2. "I can't belive you are actually considering this! says *sillyname*, greased haired liberal and member of the civil rights movment "Everybody on the boat!". When you arrive to a new country you need incouragement and help, not the pressure of a test hanging over your head. This is utterly inhumane. If anything we should increase funds to the present education system which helps new arrivals. Of course this would cost a bit, but who are we to but a price on quality of life?

3. "This is the definition of crap, says *sillyname*, Police officer and MENSA member. Lets just do an IQ test on all citizens and kick out all the idiots."

what do you think? could this be something?

Federalist
Chatty Cathy

language test

Post by Federalist » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:27 am

I like this issue idea. It could be intresting to see what happens to a country's profile with this.

Federation of Disjunction
Writer

language test

Post by Federation of Disjunction » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:39 am

I like it and it would add to the issue pool, which has seen some dups. Nice idea and a good warm up for writing resolutions to replace those that have been repealed.

Eisophca
Chatty Cathy

language test

Post by Eisophca » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 am

@@NAME@@ should replace *COUNTRYNAME*, @@RANDOMNAME@@ should replace *SILLYNAME*. There isn't a variable for the country's language, so use @@NAME@@ian/@@NAME@@ese/whatever.

Gnejs
Writer

language test

Post by Gnejs » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:58 am

I have submited it. Lets hope it goes well.

Thanks everybody!

"A member of a minor party in the @@NAME@@ian parliament recently proposed the idea of a mandatory language test for becoming a citizen of @@NAME@@

1.[option] "Knowing how to speak @@NAME@@ian is one of the most vital aspects of being a citizen, says @@RANDOMNAME@@, parliament member and chairman of the "Kick-em-all-out think tank". Just think of the job market, if you can't make yourself understod, you're gonna have a hell of a time getting the job done, am I right? Of course we would provide some education for the newcomers, but if they can't deliver on test day.. Kick em out!
[effect] Language tests are mandatory for becoming a citizen
[stats] decrease in civil rights, size of government increases a bit

2.[option] "I can't belive you are actually considering this! says @@RANDOMNAME@@, greased haired liberal and member of the civil rights movment "Everybody on the boat!". When you arrive to a new country you need incouragement and help, not the pressure of a test hanging over your head. This is utterly inhumane. If anything we should increase funds to the present education system which helps new arrivals. Of course this would cost a bit, but who are we to but a price on quality of life?
[effect] Immigrants are flocking to @@NAME@@ due to the country's relaxed immigration laws
[stats] Increase in civil rights, size of government increases a bit, economy decreases

3.[option] "This is the definition of crap, says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Police officer and MENSA member. Lets just do an IQ test on all citizens and kick out all the idiots."
[effect] The average IQ of the countries citizens was recently increased as a third of the country's population was deported on the count of "stupidity "
[stats] Big decrease in civil rights.

Gerainia
Writer

language test

Post by Gerainia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Love it. YEAH, YEAH! :)

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

language test

Post by Bears Armed » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Nice!
Unfortunately I think that there's a backlog of several months' (maybe even about a year's) submitted issues still waiting to be approved & edited, so it might be a while before we actually see this in play, but well done anyway...

Gnejs
Writer

language test

Post by Gnejs » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:59 pm

I had completly forgotten about this. But thanks! Let's hope it shows up.

Gnejs
Writer

Re: language test

Post by Gnejs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Wow, blast from the past. Don’t remember dabbling in issues back in ‘06. Apparently those Editor’s didn’t find it worthy of inclusion. They’re so mean, those guys.