(SUBMITTED) The Ad Scare

For the discussion about daily issues and the creation of new issues
Christos
Ingénue

(SUBMITTED) The Ad Scare

Post by Christos » Fri May 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Posted also in the Got Issues forum on NationStates

Let me know what you all think. Feedback is appreciated.
I got this idea from the recent ad scare of Momo.

During a cabinet meeting your press secretary (Random Name) informs you and your cabinet ministers of several news stories that detail a disturbing ad called “Me-Me” popping up on video sites. Your press secretary says that there is an uproar in the country and that people have been contacting the administration about this “Ad Scare Problem” One voice mail message left by a concerned parent says “This ad popped up while my 7 year old son was watching a video on how to count to 10 and now he refuses to watch any form of video. Fix this or a new leader will when election season comes by.” You tell the press secretary to play the ad to see how scary this ad could be. As the ad ends, Horrified and a little wet your cabinet minister’s stare at each other and then turn to you to address this ad scare problem.

Option 1: The press secretary gives you a solution, I think we should put pressure on these ad companies and video sites to have them better screen what ads pop up on certain videos by taking away their tax breaks. This is inappropriate and I feel like holding them accountable would be get them to act, especially if we do it with money.
Outcome 1: Websites are held hostage to screen ads themselves instead of AI algorithms.

Option 2: The minister of commerce (random name) stands up with sweat dripping down his forehead, I do think that ad was of poor taste but in the name of business, economics, and numbers we cannot put interfere in other people’s business practices. This is how business works, this is how ads work. Yes, it was quite terrifying but imposing pressure on that ad company would spit in the face of the capitalist ways.
Outcome 2: Children's nightmares are fueled for money's sake.

Option 3: The Minister of Defense (random name), who is standing and clapping with a tear in his eye, says “this is one of the greatest forms of hypnotic suggestion. We could hire these ad makers and have them create an ad that makes the populace love you. I mean after that whole recession debacle I think this the solution we need to get the people on your side again.
Outcome 3: Love for country is seemingly not from the heart but from the eyes.

Option 4: Your 7 year old nephew who was playing in the back of the meeting room, now is cowering in fear saying “Uncle (leader name) please make the bad figures go away. I want to eat my veggies.” Your nephew passes out at the thought of not eating his vegetables.
Outcome 4: Video Ads have been banned from all websites as letters written by children bear your likeness and talk about how happy they are about eating their vegetables.
Last edited by Christos on Mon May 13, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Writer

Re: (DRAFT) The Ad Scare

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 am

During a cabinet meeting your press secretary (Random Name) informs you and your cabinet ministers of several news stories that detail a disturbing ad called “Me-Me” popping up on video sites. Your press secretary says that there is an uproar in the country and that people have been contacting the administration about this “Ad Scare Problem” You enter your office only to be bombarded by a voice mail from a concerned parentOne voice mail message left by a concerned parent saysThis adA horrifying ad depicting a horribly disfigured face popped up while my 7 year old son was watching a video on how to count to 10 and now he refuses to watch any form of video. I implore you to use reason and protect the minds of our children.Fix this or a new leader will when remember that an election season comes by is coming by.” You tell the press secretary to play the ad to see how scary this ad could be. As the ad ends, Horrified and a little wet your cabinet minister’s stare at each other and then turn to you to address this ad scare problem.We can assume they are familiar with the video.

Option 1: The press secretary gives you a solution, "I think we should put pressure on these ad companies and video sites to have them better screen what ads pop up on certain videos by taking away their tax breaks. This is an inappropriate video for young eyesinappropriate and I feel like holding them accountable would be get them to act, especially if we do it with money.Would be the best course of action."

Outcome 1: Websites are held hostage to and mustscreen ads themselves instead of usingAI algorithms.

Option 2: TheYour minister of commerce (random name) stands up with sweat dripping down his forehead, I do think that the ad in questionad was of in poor taste. With that said,but in the name of business, economics, and numbers we cannot put interfere inwith other people’s business practices. This is how business works a good economic system functions, this is how ads work. Yes, it was quite terrifying but imposing pressure on that ad company would spit in the face of the capitalist ways capitalism.

Outcome 2: Children's nightmares are fueled for money's sake by money.

Option 3: The Minister of Defense (random name), who is standing and clapping with a tear in his eye, says “this is one of the greatest forms of hypnotic suggestion. We could hire these ad makers and have them create an ad that makes the populace love you. I mean after that whole recession debacle I think this the solution we need to get the people on your side again.
Outcome 3: Love for country is seemingly not from the heart but from the eyes.

Option 4: Your 7 year old nephew who was playing in the back of the meeting room, now is cowering in fear at the sight of the ad again saying suddenly exclaims “Uncle (leader name) please make the bad figures go away. I want to eat my veggies.” Your nephew passesHe then passes out at the terror of the ad. out at the thought of not eating his vegetables.

Outcome 4: Video Ads have been banned from all websites as letters written by children bear your likeness and talk about how happy they are about eating their vegetables.

I am no expert with issue writing but I have read enough to know what makes a good issue. This is a good topic and I think your overall structure is fairly good however I went in and made some suggestions to cut sentences that were redundant or unnecessary. Also, I don't know what the veggies thing was but that likely has to go or be restructured. Good job. Keep up the good work.

Christos
Ingénue

Post by Christos » Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 am

Thank for the feedback! I edited the issue in the "Got Issues" forum and this is what it looks like now.

Issue: You dismiss reports about an ad called “MeMe” that has been popping up on several video-sharing sites thinking it’s just a hoax. But during a monthly cabinet meeting you find that all your ministers are acting strangely with all their faces stuck in various emotions ranging from terrified to enlightened. Your secretary informs you that all your ministers have seen the ad and that something must be done about it now because all the drool from their mouths are ruining the carpet.

Option 1: Working up the courage to speak The minister of technology @@RANDOMNAME@@ starts to talk in a whispery voice, I think we should put pressure on ad companies and video-sharing sites to have them better screen what ads pop up on certain videos by taking away their tax breaks. This is an inappropriate situation and I feel like holding them accountable would be get them to act, especially if we do it with money.
Outcome 1: Withholding of Tax breaks are used to hold ad companies and video-sharing sites accountable instead of AI algorithms.

Option 2: The minister of commerce @@RANDOMNAME@@ stands up with sweat dripping down his forehead slowly stands up and says, I do think that ad was inappropriate but in the name of business, economics, and numbers we cannot interfere in other people’s business practices. This is how business works, this is how ads work. Yes, it was quite terrifying but imposing pressure on ad companies and video-sharing sites would spit in the face of the capitalist ways.

Option 3: General @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the Armed Forces stands at attention, as you notice the wet stain on his pants and says, Forget how scary it is a little backbone did not hurt anybody, what we could do is hire these ad makers and use their talents of videography to have the populace love you. I mean after that whole recession debacle I think this solution will get the people on your side again.
Outcome 3: Ad makers line up to use their skills to help the country forget the past.

Option 4: Your niece’s mother rushes into the meeting and says, I think all these ad companies should be banned from all video-sharing sites in @@NATIONNAME@@. I know it’s a bit drastic but your 7 year old niece does not want to leave the house anymore because she’s been scarred for life.
Outcome 4: Video Ads have been banned from all video-sharing sites as picture ads rise in popularity.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Writer

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon May 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Christos wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 am
Thank for the feedback! I edited the issue in the "Got Issues" forum and this is what it looks like now.

Issue: You dismiss reports about an ad called “MeMe” that has been popping up on several video-sharing sites thinking it’s just a hoax. But during a monthly cabinet meeting you find that all your ministers are acting strangely with all their faces stuck in various emotions ranging from terrified to enlightened. Your secretary informs you that all your ministers have seen the ad and that something must be done about it now because all the drool from their mouths are ruining the carpet.

Option 1: Working up the courage to speak The minister of technology @@RANDOMNAME@@ starts to talk in a whispery voice, I think we should put pressure on ad companies and video-sharing sites to have them better screen what ads pop up on certain videos by taking away their tax breaks. This is an inappropriate situation and I feel like holding them accountable would be get them to act, especially if we do it with money.
Outcome 1: Withholding of Tax breaks are used to hold ad companies and video-sharing sites accountable instead of AI algorithms.

Option 2: The minister of commerce @@RANDOMNAME@@ stands up with sweat dripping down his forehead slowly stands up and says, I do think that ad was inappropriate but in the name of business, economics, and numbers we cannot interfere in other people’s business practices. This is how business works, this is how ads work. Yes, it was quite terrifying but imposing pressure on ad companies and video-sharing sites would spit in the face of the capitalist ways.

Option 3: General @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the Armed Forces stands at attention, as you notice the wet stain on his pants and says, Forget how scary it is a little backbone did not hurt anybody, what we could do is hire these ad makers and use their talents of videography to have the populace love you. I mean after that whole recession debacle I think this solution will get the people on your side again.
Outcome 3: Ad makers line up to use their skills to help the country forget the past.

Option 4: Your niece’s mother rushes into the meeting and says, I think all these ad companies should be banned from all video-sharing sites in @@NATIONNAME@@. I know it’s a bit drastic but your 7 year old niece does not want to leave the house anymore because she’s been scarred for life.
Outcome 4: Video Ads have been banned from all video-sharing sites as picture ads rise in popularity.
Magnificent.

Christos
Ingénue

Post by Christos » Mon May 13, 2019 2:49 pm

What I'm going to submit.

Issue: During a monthly cabinet meeting you find that all your ministers are acting strangely with all their faces stuck in various emotions ranging from terrified to euphoric while some are eerily under the meeting table sucking their thumbs. Your secretary informs you that all your ministers have seen a certain ad that has been popping up on different video-sharing sites. Your secretary pleads with you to do something because instead of relaxing at her desk she is forced to take over the positions of all the cabinet members.

Option 1: Finally snapping out of their dazed state the Minister of Technology @@RANDOMNAME@@, with bated breath gives a solution to this ad scare. “I think we should put pressure on ad companies and video-sharing sites to screen what they show to the public by removing their tax breaks. This is an inappropriate situation and I feel like holding them accountable would get them to act, especially if we do it with money.”
Outcome 1: Withholding of tax breaks lights up the human spirit of working again.

Option 2: “I think I have a solution” You hear the voice of The Minister of Commerce @@RANDOMNAME@@ as they pop their head from underneath the table. “I do think that ad was inappropriate but in the name of business, economics, and numbers we cannot interfere in other people’s business practices. This is how business works, this is how ads work. Imposing financial pressure on ad companies and video-sharing sites would spit in the face of the capitalism itself.”
Outcome 2: MeMe merchandise has skyrocketed along with the recent rise of jobs in the psychiatric profession.

Option 3: General @@RANDOMNAME@@ stands at attention, as you notice the wet stain on his pants and chair. “Forget how scary it is having a backbone never hurt anybody, what we need to do is hire these ad makers and use their talents of videography to have the populace love you. I mean after that whole recession debacle I think this solution will get the people on your side again.”
Outcome 3: The recent rise of MeMe styled ads are passed off as reference work for government positions.

Option 4: “You Need To Fix This!” as Your niece’s mother rushes into the meeting, “I think all these ad companies should be banned from all video-sharing sites in @@NATIONNAME@@. I know it’s a bit drastic but your 7 year old niece does not want to leave the house anymore because she’s been scarred for life and I need my life back or I will lose it!”
Outcome 4: Viewership has gone up on TV and video-sharing sites as newspapers add more pages with the recent influx of paper ads.

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Writer

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon May 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Good luck!