Flag + Crest

Pose questions to, and expect pronouncements from, the Delegate.
Sanctaria
Site Admin

Flag + Crest

Post by Sanctaria » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 am

I was up until 3am my time making these, so y'all better like them!

The regional values are Justice, Education, Industry, and the Environment.

Justice is represented by Lady Justice.

Education is represented by a book.

Industry, and clean industry at that so as to better reflect our environment value, is represented by wind turbines/generators.

Environment is represented by a Forest-Man, who lives simply and does not adversely effect the environment.

Coat of Arms

Flag

Last edited by Sanctaria on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

boricuastan
Writer

Flag + Crest

Post by boricuastan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:52 am

Reminds me of the flag of New York. :P I do like that you're retaining IDU's traditional royal blue color.

How about replacing the mountain man with a scholar in traditional academic robes (covering education), and inside the shield, instead of the book, include mountains, trees and a lake (covering environment), along with the turbines? It might also represent the environment and industry being able to coexist harmoniously, without inflicting unnecessary harm on either?

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Flag + Crest

Post by Sanctaria » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:44 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>boricuastan</dt><dd>Dec 5 2015, 12:52:36 AM</dd></dl><div>Reminds me of the flag of New York. :P I do like that you're retaining IDU's traditional royal blue color.

How about replacing the mountain man with a scholar in traditional academic robes (covering education), and inside the shield, instead of the book, include mountains, trees and a lake (covering environment), along with the turbines? It might also represent the environment and industry being able to coexist harmoniously, without inflicting unnecessary harm on either?[/quote]Yup, I can look at this.

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Flag + Crest

Post by Sanctaria » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Posting these again here since photobucket ate the last ones. Flag first, then CoA.

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Flag + Crest

Post by Sanctaria » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>boricuastan</dt><dd>Dec 5 2015, 12:52:36 AM</dd></dl><div>Reminds me of the flag of New York. :P I do like that you're retaining IDU's traditional royal blue color.

How about replacing the mountain man with a scholar in traditional academic robes (covering education), and inside the shield, instead of the book, include mountains, trees and a lake (covering environment), along with the turbines? It might also represent the environment and industry being able to coexist harmoniously, without inflicting unnecessary harm on either?[/quote]So! I have finally gotten around to what Kenny suggested.

I couldn't find a supporter to show education, like he suggested, but I did find Issac Newton so ... close enough?

CoA

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">Image</div>

Flag

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">Image</div>

Laeral
Delegate

Flag + Crest

Post by Laeral » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:04 am

I have some misgivings about these. In my opinion, good vexillology uses simple, distinct shapes similar to those on our current flag.Flags should be simple and memorable. This seems too complex and hard to reproduce to me. Aside from the design issue, I'm also unsure about putting two light-skinned people to represent our region, as well as Issac Newton, who was never a person of our region.

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Flag + Crest

Post by Sanctaria » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:22 am

I'm not going to argue with your critiques of the design itself - your opinions are perfectly valid.

I definitely don't agree with your issues about the heraldic supporters, though, but ok, I guess. Each to their own. I mean, I'm pretty sure the UK has no native unicorns or lions but sure. It's a strange problem to have with it.

I will say, though, that an update on our flag is actually important. Our one we have at the moment is poorly rendered and makes integrating it into our promotional and regional material difficult.
Last edited by Sanctaria on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Flag + Crest

Post by Sanctaria » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 pm

How about this for a potential new flag.

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>large</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">Image</div>

The symbol in the middle represents Democracy. The circles (gold + white) represent a Union.

It keeps the traditional IDU blue. 4 four-pointed stars symbolise the justice, education, industry, and environment pillars of our community. Gold borders because we are one of the premiere regions in NS for things like WA, Issues, and RP.

And because the 4 stars are outside the circle and come together to complete a further circle, of sorts, it represents the International part of our name.

So: International Democratic Union.

The free stuff
Ingénue

Flag + Crest

Post by The free stuff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 pm

I quite like the new flag idea.

Laeral
Delegate

Flag + Crest

Post by Laeral » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 pm

I like it, and believe we should submit it to the IDUSA for a vote.