Sister Cities

Develop your nation and share information about it. [Out-of-Character]
Baranxtu
Writer

Sister Cities

Post by Baranxtu » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:59 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 17 2006&#44; 08:52 PM</dd></dl><div> I've always considered that Mikitivity has a low population density. It is too cold to make babies!!! :sunglasses: [/quote]
:unsure:
Er... but... what do people do then on cold, windy winter nights? Read books :blink: ?

:P

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:14 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Baranxtu</dt><dd>Jul 17 2006&#44; 11:59 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 17 2006&#44; 08:52 PM</dd></dl><div> I've always considered that Mikitivity has a low population density.&nbsp; It is too cold to make babies!!!&nbsp; :sunglasses: [/quote]
:unsure:
Er... but... what do people do then on cold, windy winter nights? Read books :blink: ?

:P [/quote]
Wrap themselves in wool blankets, drink Spice Melange tea, eat Brig cheese snacks, and speak with the dead.
:cold:

Baranxtu
Writer

Sister Cities

Post by Baranxtu » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:17 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 17 2006&#44; 09:14 PM</dd></dl><div> Wrap themselves in wool blankets, drink Spice Melange tea, eat Brig cheese snacks, and speak with the dead.
:cold: [/quote]
:pout:
Ooookie-dokie.

Well, if Baranxtuans are cold (which is rarely, given as how they're in the subtropics and all), they... do teh naughty.
See, if they'd live in Mikitivity, they'd take the Brig cheese and... <&#124;)

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Sister Cities

Post by Bears Armed » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:08 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 17 2006&#44; 07:14 PM</dd></dl><div> Wrap themselves in wool blankets, drink Spice Melange tea, eat Brig cheese snacks, and speak with the dead.
:cold: [/quote]
Some of the Bears can talk with the dead, too... If this nation get the location on the regional map that I've requested then maybe our shared area is one where the boundaries between the planes are actually a bit weaker than normal?

Returning to the thread's proper topic: Sorry, folks, but no cities here.

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:58 pm

I know Dom is the controller of the map, but were you wanting a coastal community or a landlocked one? We can kinda start eyeballing a location for your bears. N.Munchinland is busy with work / school (she is a professor), so we could carve up some of the highlands of her territory -- I asked, and she only wanted to sit on some of the lower waterways.

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Sister Cities

Post by Bears Armed » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:20 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 18 2006&#44; 07:58 PM</dd></dl><div> I know Dom is the controller of the map, but were you wanting a coastal community or a landlocked one? We can kinda start eyeballing a location for your bears. N.Munchinland is busy with work / school (she is a professor), so we could carve up some of the highlands of her territory -- I asked, and she only wanted to sit on some of the lower waterways. [/quote]
Landlocked will do, although access to the sea by river through a friendly nation would be nice. Where's 'N.Munchinland' on the map, are they the nation shown as 'NM'? The site that I actually requested in the Map thread would be part of the empty-looking area that's just to the east of your own nation, if that is still available...

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:54 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Bears Armed</dt><dd>Jul 19 2006&#44; 06:20 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 18 2006&#44; 07:58 PM</dd></dl><div> I know Dom is the controller of the map, but were you wanting a coastal community or a landlocked one?&nbsp; We can kinda start eyeballing a location for your bears.&nbsp; N.Munchinland is busy with work / school (she is a professor), so we could carve up some of the highlands of her territory -- I asked, and she only wanted to sit on some of the lower waterways. [/quote]
Landlocked will do, although access to the sea by river through a friendly nation would be nice. Where's 'N.Munchinland' on the map, are they the nation shown as 'NM'? The site that I actually requested in the Map thread would be part of the empty-looking area that's just to the east of your own nation, if that is still available... [/quote]
The area to the east of Mikitivity is landlocked, but empty and we'd be glad to have you.

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Sister Cities

Post by Bears Armed » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:56 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 19 2006&#44; 11:54 PM</dd></dl><div> The area to the east of Mikitivity is landlocked, but empty and we'd be glad to have you. [/quote]
Okay, then -- pending any objections by anybody else -- we'll assume that that is where the Bears are: They've probably only recently expanded their territories far enough to reach your border...

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:21 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Bears Armed</dt><dd>Jul 20 2006&#44; 04:56 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 19 2006&#44; 11:54 PM</dd></dl><div> The area to the east of Mikitivity is landlocked, but empty and we'd be glad to have you. [/quote]
Okay, then -- pending any objections by anybody else -- we'll assume that that is where the Bears are: They've probably only recently expanded their territories far enough to reach your border... [/quote]
Yeah, most nations (players) want coasts (which is logical) ... so that spot has always been empty. :)

The question is how much space or how big will Bears Armed be?

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Sister Cities

Post by Bears Armed » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:14 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 20 2006&#44; 04:21 PM</dd></dl><div> The question is how much space or how big will Bears Armed be? [/quote]
Good question. I'm not sure how seriously people in this region take the NS-official population values, instead of scaling them down, but I suspect that in any case the value for Bears Armed is actually the number of [average-size] Humans that would have the same total mass as the number of Bears present. Our population stat's increase is partly through reproduction but [currently] more by the recruitment of outlying clans into the main 'nation' now that the latter's established contact with the outside world... Each Bear needs a bit more space than a Human would for their support, anyway, and then we're used to living at relatively low densities...

Maybe about a third to a half of that empty area?

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:20 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Bears Armed</dt><dd>Jul 20 2006&#44; 11:14 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 20 2006&#44; 04:21 PM</dd></dl><div> The question is how much space or how big will Bears Armed be? [/quote]
Good question. I'm not sure how seriously people in this region take the NS-official population values, instead of scaling them down, but I suspect that in any case the value for Bears Armed is actually the number of [average-size] Humans that would have the same total mass as the number of Bears present. Our population stat's increase is partly through reproduction but [currently] more by the recruitment of outlying clans into the main 'nation' now that the latter's established contact with the outside world... Each Bear needs a bit more space than a Human would for their support, anyway, and then we're used to living at relatively low densities...

Maybe about a third to a half of that empty area? [/quote]
Mikitivity is somewhere closer to the 20 million mark in population -- think Canada. Not the 5 billion (China) that NationStates claims.

A number of other players ingore the game generated population marks. I also pretend that the tax rate in Mikitivity is similar to Norway -- 50%+ and that the standard of living is comparable to Switzerland, Norway, or the Netherlands. Food and Petrol are extremely expensive, but train fair is very reasonable ... airship travel is expensive (but you are pampered).

Anyways, the game should be fun to play -- so I say be creative!
:jump:

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Sister Cities

Post by Bears Armed » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:00 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 20 2006&#44; 06:20 PM</dd></dl><div> Mikitivity is somewhere closer to the 20 million mark in population -- think Canada. Not the 5 billion (China) that NationStates claims.

A number of other players ingore the game generated population marks. I also pretend that the tax rate in Mikitivity is similar to Norway -- 50%+ and that the standard of living is comparable to Switzerland, Norway, or the Netherlands. Food and Petrol are extremely expensive, but train fair is very reasonable ... airship travel is expensive (but you are pampered).

Anyways, the game should be fun to play -- so I say be creative!
:jump: [/quote]
Okay.
I'll think about the population, but will probably remain "faithful" to the game's official economic statistics.

Do you have trains or airships that can get the Bears's athletes to Ashford in time for the games, assuming that it's one of your roads along which their convoy is currently heading, or should they go via another country (& heavier-than-air flight) instead? I realise that we haven't set up an exchange-rate yet, but they're probably paying their way in gold ingots (if that's legal locally)...

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:15 pm

Mikitivity Bahn can easily bring your bear delegation to Miervatia City, where an Eule Fluglinien airship can easily fly them to Antrium or Ceorana ... which probably has faster intercontential flights to Ashford.

OOC:
I'll have to check with whomever is in charge of Ashford to see if they can support airships, because if that is the case, I'd be happy to ferry all IDU teams to the games on a special airship named "Olympic Carrier" at the expense of Eule Fluglinien (it would be a promotional thing for them). :)

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:56 am

Apparently Ashford can support airships, so I'd like to extend free transport via Mikitivity Bahn and Eule Fluglinien's Olympic Carrier airship to and from the games for atheletes. The Olympic Carrier will be flying tourists (who must pay), but any IDU atheletes can book flights on the Olympic Carrier for free. :)

Sober Thought
Writer

Sister Cities

Post by Sober Thought » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:59 am

I've been out of it for a while -- some say a LONG while. :rolleyes: -- but I've got some canditates for twinning with Ossendorf in Mikitivity. I made Bristle Island(especially the industrialised southern part) chock full of mining communities. The trouble is that I named that for coal (Picton=Pictou County, Nova Scotia), iron ore (Sheldon = Sydney, Nova Scotia; the joke being Sidney Sheldon was a schlock writer in the 1970s and '80s) and limestone (locale unnamed).

However, none of these is likely ever to get an article of their own, just a line or two in the provincial entry. After I had a couple of twinning for Braunekuste's cities, I rewrote and reorganised it so each of the five municipalities in the province had at least had a discrete section within a provincial article. I might get around to doing something similar for Bristle Island, but I can't count on having the time an access to do it anytime soon.

Bears Armed question about population was a helpful one. Very early in the game, one of the daily issues is a ZPG -- zero population growth -- question which would presumably arrest population at the level then extant. I dealt with this problem by establishing percentages of population, rather than actual numbers, for my provinces and municipalities. That way you can at least keep the relative demographic foot print the same. Like Mik, and even more transparently Dom, I've modelled my population size (and practically everything else) on Canada. Like a true extreme moderate, I've got a limb on all sides of the question. :pisang:

Antrium
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Antrium » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:42 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 23 2006&#44; 08:56 PM</dd></dl><div> Apparently Ashford can support airships, so I'd like to extend free transport via Mikitivity Bahn and Eule Fluglinien's Olympic Carrier airship to and from the games for atheletes. The Olympic Carrier will be flying tourists (who must pay), but any IDU atheletes can book flights on the Olympic Carrier for free. :) [/quote]
I included this in a Beacon-Times article :)

And back to sister cities: A new Antrian city will be coming some time soon, it will be smaller, so maybe finally a match for a Mikitivity town :D

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Sister Cities

Post by Bears Armed » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:52 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mikitivity</dt><dd>Jul 24 2006&#44; 01:56 AM</dd></dl><div> Apparently Ashford can support airships, so I'd like to extend free transport via Mikitivity Bahn and Eule Fluglinien's Olympic Carrier airship to and from the games for atheletes.&nbsp; The Olympic Carrier will be flying tourists (who must pay), but any IDU atheletes can book flights on the Olympic Carrier for free.&nbsp; :) [/quote]
Thank you, we will gratefully take advantage (OOC: "have taken advantage", by now, of course... ) of this offer. The supporters who are accompanying the team will pay their fares in gold, if that's acceptable: We're still a bit short of actual foreign currency so far, but presumably pure metal will do?

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:00 pm

Cool!

The dairy village of Verstair will soon be appearing in the Thuvians as well. :)

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:07 pm

That is exactly the idea behind the Olympic Carrier. Athletes fly free, and others can pay to fly on the same airship. The ship is flying back and forth, back and forth, as some athletes can't stay in Ashford for three weeks, so any IDU athlete can fly there and back as often as he or she likes.

And gold or honey are both welcomed in Mikitivity. Gold is probably easier to carry around.

Antrium
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Antrium » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Anyone else interested? I'd like to see some more countries involved :)

(In other words, *bump*)

Mikitivity
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Mikitivity » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:39 pm

I'll have some more villages (all small in population) ready in a few weeks.

Verstair, the home of Joseph Rainer, might make an interesting place to have as an exchange city.

Embolalia
Writer

Sister Cities

Post by Embolalia » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:30 am

I'd like to suggest Rensselaer as somewhere's sister city. Population is about 1mil in the metro area. It has a large airport, and a mid-sized seaport, though it's reletively hard to get to by water. It might get it's own wiki entry at some point, but I don't promise anything.

Antrium
Wordsmith

Sister Cities

Post by Antrium » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:24 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Giotizia</dt><dd>Aug 31 2006&#44; 08:30 PM</dd></dl><div> I'd like to suggest Rensselaer as somewhere's sister city. Population is about 1mil in the metro area. It has a large airport, and a mid-sized seaport, though it's reletively hard to get to by water. It might get it's own wiki entry at some point, but I don't promise anything. [/quote]
Could be either Port Spitz or Marinik in Antrium, both are roughly the same size as Rensselaer, and are the biggest transportation cities in the country.

Gnejs
Writer

Sister Cities

Post by Gnejs » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:02 am

Port Kejm is Gnejs biggest city. Not quite sure whow many inhabitants, but alot :D

It is, as you might have guessed, largely based around a big port (somewhat like Amsterdam, or is it Rotterdam? the one with the big port :P ). It has been called "The Eastern Gateway to the IDU" by the citys mayor, Glenn-Tomas Mark of the party "Go Gnejs!". Although this is not a region sanctioned label of the city. Gnejs is divided in to smaller areas called "Kommuner" (the swedish name) or communes. Most communes as made up of rather large areas with multiple cities within it's limits. The communes enoy great freedom to govern themselves and commune elections (or kommunalval in swedish) are held simultaneous with parliament elections. The city of Port Kejm is its own commune and is governed by a coalition of the neo-liberal party Go Gnejs! and the Moderate Party. This makes Port Kejm somewhat of a haven for commerce in Gnejs, although its not nearly the "Capitalist paradise" that the citys officials makes it out to be. Major industries in Port Kejm is computer techonology and the big port that employ a vast number of the citys, and bordering communes citizens.

Does anybody feel like this could be a sister city?

Embolalia
Writer

Sister Cities

Post by Embolalia » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:17 pm

Rensselaer and Marinik will be sister cities.