United New England

Descriptions & discussions of member nations' flora & fauna.
Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Re: United New England

Post by Bears Armed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Apparently the genus name ‘Invigilatoris un-used in RL, and thus available for use here: The only reference to that word being used for such a purpose that I found when I checked online was for a genus of [different] birds in Dougal Dixon’s ‘After Man’, in fact, and I think it’s reasonably safe to presume that (a) Dixon checked for earlier usage before he used the name; & (b) any later usage probably would have turned up when I looked. I have therefore designated this continent’s endemic ‘Inspector-Bird’ as Invigilator ambulans (which translates [loosely] into English as “Walking Inspector”…).

I have posted some additional extra material in the section about the superfamily Notiovenatoroidea, currently in green to set it aside from the stuff that you’ve already had chance to read. This includes a genus-by-genus guide overview of the family Notovenatoridae’s members: Let me know if you want any of the genera not already listed as native to your nation added to its fauna…

United New England
Writer

Post by United New England » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:34 pm

Sure, Balearica cyanea works well as a name.

Yes, we could make the mousebirds as curious about humans as the tufted titmouse.

Did the house with the thatched roof burn down completely? I hope the owners were able to save it. Either way, I guess they have a good story to tell now!

The "violet roller" is a great bird name for NS!

Monkey puzzle trees and macadamia trees both sound good.

I would be fine with any of the Notovenatoridae genera.

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Post by Bears Armed » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:32 pm

The switch to the new map might have invalidated a LOT of this, for example by making it much less likely that the southern continent would have retained such a distinctive fauna instead of having more basic groups -- possibly even down to the Genus level -- shared with its northern neighbour. :b3:
I am awaiting the cartographers' response to this post: viewtopic.php?p=20474#p20474 .

UPDATE: I've been informed that the 'horizontal' red line on the new map is the Equator, so your nation would now be a lonnng way further south...

United New England
Writer

Post by United New England » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Zamastan says, “the territory should more or less be the same in terms of longitude and latitude where UNE is concerned,” so that seems like good news!

I know you mentioned bananas - can we have the Blue Java kind?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Java_banana

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Post by Bears Armed » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm

United New England wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:55 pm
Zamastan says, “the territory should more or less be the same in terms of longitude and latitude where UNE is concerned,” so that seems like good news!
They also say that the red line E-W across the middle of the map is the Equator: if your nation is still around the same longitudes south as was previously [presumed to be] the case, and the map's scale works the same on both sides of the Equator, then that would place everywhere on the map close enough to the equator to be within the tropics!
:o

Personally, I'm going to claim a bit of the new map for Bears Armed but that will explicitly be as an "extradimesnsional" extension while the original nation itself remains on a version of the old map where it stil has its previous [presumed] coordinates -- and at least some of its previous neighbours, which are written into its history, as well -- instead.
I know you mentioned bananas - can we have the Blue Java kind?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Java_banana
Probably.
Looking at the parts of the world where they grow in RL, and the "cold-tolerant" aspect, I think that they must be adapted for 'tropical mountain rainforest', but you've got a strip of that ecotype along the eastern slopes so it should be possible to grow them there.

Zamastan
Cabinet Minister

Post by Zamastan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm
They also say that the red line E-W across the middle of the map is the Equator: if your nation is still around the same longitudes south as was previously [presumed to be] the case, and the map's scale works the same on both sides of the Equator, then that would place everywhere on the map close enough to the equator to be within the tropics!
No need to be concerned about tropic distance. The map has literally only been in existence for three days, so there is still a lot of work in progress. I will be clarifying areas on the map in terms of tropics, poles, etc, but no, it is incorrect to assume everywhere is in a tropics area. You have to give me more time and be more patient with your concerns - they will ALL be addressed and fixed eventually.

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Post by Bears Armed » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Zamastan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:24 pm
Bears Armed wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm
No need to be concerned about tropic distance. The map has literally only been in existence for three days, so there is still a lot of work in progress. I will be clarifying areas on the map in terms of tropics, poles, etc, but no, it is incorrect to assume everywhere is in a tropics area. You have to give me more time and be more patient with your concerns - they will ALL be addressed and fixed eventually.
Okay.

The simplest way to leave U.N.E.’s lands here with their previously-agreed climates & ecosystems, and the map basically as shown, without needing to re-scale any of the map in order to have a reasonable range of latitudes, would obviously be — if U.N.E.’s player and our Cartographers agree — to move those lands into a position closer to the indicated line of the Equator. Using it to replace the smaller peninsula & chain of islands that are currently shown at the western edge of the ‘Hapson Sea’ (just west of Zamastan), but with its shape rotated by around 180o so that it’s still the wider end that’s connected to the continental mainland, should work quite well if that’s agreeable to you…

Zamastan
Cabinet Minister

Post by Zamastan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:49 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:03 pm
Okay.

The simplest way to leave U.N.E.’s lands here with their previously-agreed climates & ecosystems, and the map basically as shown, without needing to re-scale any of the map in order to have a reasonable range of latitudes, would obviously be — if U.N.E.’s player and our Cartographers agree — to move those lands into a position closer to the indicated line of the Equator. Using it to replace the smaller peninsula & chain of islands that are currently shown at the western edge of the ‘Hapson Sea’ (just west of Zamastan), but with its shape rotated by around 180o so that it’s still the wider end that’s connected to the continental mainland, should work quite well if that’s agreeable to you…
Sounds good. I've been working on that area a lot recently, so I'll figure out a way to establish that into the map soon! Thanks, Bears.

Zamastan
Cabinet Minister

Post by Zamastan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Map is updated, Bears Armed. Let me know what you think.

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Post by Bears Armed » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Zamastan wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 pm
Map is updated, Bears Armed. Let me know what you think.
That works fine from my viewpoint.

Now, what does United New England think about this?

Zamastan
Cabinet Minister

Post by Zamastan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:25 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:04 pm

I thought you had already discussed it with her. She said it looks good, though!

Bears Armed
Global Moderator

Post by Bears Armed » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Zamastan wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:25 pm
Bears Armed wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:04 pm

I thought you had already discussed it with her. She said it looks good, though!
Good!
I'll go through my earlier posts in this thread, to make the necessary changes, soon.

(EDIT: I meant to ask UNE at the same time as I asked Zamastan, but must have accidentally cut that part of the post concerned while editing it... :oops: )