OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Maps, flags, and national information. OOC national development
User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: EXCITING DEVELOPMENTS : OFFICIAL MAP 2019

Post by Zamastan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:12 pm

EXCITING DEVELOPMENTS
To be introduced sometime (hopefully soon)


I've figured out a way to include "layers" into the map, which would allow people to show individual or combinations of layers, including cities, national boundaries, names, etc. This will work similarly to Google Earth, where you have the option to see labels and boundaries and geographical features.

However, with this said, it may be a while until it is implemented fully. This has been my main focus on the map since it started, and I've run into many hiccups along the way. I'm thankful to say that I think I've discovered a way to implement it in a useful, non-glitchy way.

In addition to these layers, there will be one that will allow for latitudes and longitudes, which will help Bears Armed better determine climate, flora and fauna and other ecosystem-jargen for people who so wish for his help! It will also allow for people to make more realistic determinations to their nation's size, populations, etc. Very helpful tool indeed!

Also in addition, in my favorite feature to the map, there will be icons that, when pressed, will show basic stats for each nation on the map! For example, a logo will appear over Zamastan that will show the following:
- Zamastan's flag
- the name of the nation (The Imperial Republic of Zamastan)
- the population of the nation (103,000,000)
- the head of state (as of now, President Foley Sakzi)
Any other additions may include a brief description of the nation, its culture, climate, landscape, etc.!

I appreciate the positive feedback and patience the large majority of this community has showed me and Gardavasque in this process! As always, any additions you'd like added to your nation, or any requests, questions, concerns, critiques, etc, please feel free to place them here.

I hope these new additions will blend smoothly into the map! I'm excited to see what you all think when they are implemented fully.

Again, there may be a prolonged wait to this reveal as I figure out all the kinks, but as always, I appreciate the patience.

Regional Cartographer
Zamastan

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 pm

Update for estimated wait on the updates above: Early February is the *hopeful* release date of these developments!

Also in update - I'm adding three nations south of Zamastan that will serve as the completion of my "puppets", as they are critical to my nation's history. They are East and West Chanchajilla, and Paraboca. They serve alongside my only "official" puppet, Rio Palito. This will be the limit of my puppets (4), as per map guidelines that Gardavasque and I set.

Cadair
Mute
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 am

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Cadair » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Cadair here, I realized today that I had no puppet nation,.... so I created a puppet nation. If I could get it put on the map I'd appreciate it.

NATION: Tinten

CAPITOL: Fulda

If I could be placed on the South-West Continent on the River delta on the South Eastern side of the continent I'd appreciate it. TY

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm

Accepted! Welcome, Cadair! Good to see you on the forum again!

User avatar
Bears Armed
Global Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Worthing, Sussex, England

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Bears Armed » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:11 pm

Can we place a second of my puppets on the map? If so, then I'd like LionsAndTigersAndBears, although under the name of 'The Wild Forest' to be on Catica occupying an area from southern end of United New England's lands (right across the base of that peninsula, from sea to sea) eastwards as far as 'Lake Omi', extending a reasonable distance inland from the coast but excluding the smaller peninsula just east of UNE. Its capital, the Emerald city, would be a little way inland, and would be about halfway between that smaller peninsula and the section of coast closest to Rio Palito,

(The presence of this nation across the base of UNE's peninsula would help to explain how that peninsula was still uninhabited by humans when the New Englanders discovered it, and also would provide enough additional range to support viable populations of various species & genera which occur on that peninsula even if no other nations on this continent want those same life-forms...)

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:30 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:11 pm
Can we place a second of my puppets on the map? If so, then I'd like LionsAndTigersAndBears, although under the name of 'The Wild Forest' to be on Catica occupying an area from southern end of United New England's lands (right across the base of that peninsula, from sea to sea) eastwards as far as 'Lake Omi', extending a reasonable distance inland from the coast but excluding the smaller peninsula just east of UNE. Its capital, the Emerald city, would be a little way inland, and would be about halfway between that smaller peninsula and the section of coast closest to Rio Palito,

(The presence of this nation across the base of UNE's peninsula would help to explain how that peninsula was still uninhabited by humans when the New Englanders discovered it, and also would provide enough additional range to support viable populations of various species & genera which occur on that peninsula even if no other nations on this continent want those same life-forms...)
I have upgraded the map. Hopefully it looks fine. If not, let me know and I can do my best to accommodate what is reasonable. I left part of the coastline to the east of UNE below that other peninsula open because of a requested spot via telegram that has not been officially submitted onto this thread. If you need more coastline, I might be able to accommodate additional space in that area, otherwise, I can give the Wild Forest more space to the western coast.

I also like the name for the capital. It shares name with a major city in my nation: https://www.theidu.us/wiki/Emerald

User avatar
Bears Armed
Global Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Worthing, Sussex, England

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Bears Armed » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 pm

Zamastan wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:30 pm
Bears Armed wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:11 pm
Can we place a second of my puppets on the map? If so, then I'd like LionsAndTigersAndBears, although under the name of 'The Wild Forest' to be on Catica occupying an area from southern end of United New England's lands (right across the base of that peninsula, from sea to sea) eastwards as far as 'Lake Omi', extending a reasonable distance inland from the coast but excluding the smaller peninsula just east of UNE. Its capital, the Emerald city, would be a little way inland, and would be about halfway between that smaller peninsula and the section of coast closest to Rio Palito,

(The presence of this nation across the base of UNE's peninsula would help to explain how that peninsula was still uninhabited by humans when the New Englanders discovered it, and also would provide enough additional range to support viable populations of various species & genera which occur on that peninsula even if no other nations on this continent want those same life-forms...)
I have upgraded the map. Hopefully it looks fine. If not, let me know and I can do my best to accommodate what is reasonable. I left part of the coastline to the east of UNE below that other peninsula open because of a requested spot via telegram that has not been officially submitted onto this thread. If you need more coastline, I might be able to accommodate additional space in that area, otherwise, I can give the Wild Forest more space to the western coast.

I also like the name for the capital. It shares name with a major city in my nation: https://www.theidu.us/wiki/Emerald
Thank you for placing it... and for explaining about the coastal strip. I'd already looked at the map before I came here, and was wondering about that point. I'm basically fine with it like it is, as long as whoever gets that area doesn't try too hard to push inland, but with that territory between Emerald City and the coast please could Emerald City be moved slightly further inland? it should probably be about as far from that border as that border is from the sea.

The city's name is a 'Wizard of Oz' reference. The nation name 'LionsAndTigersAndBears' (although the original source had breaks between those words, which the shorter limit on name length back when I created the nation meant that I had to omit here...) and the motto combine to form a quotation from the 1939 film version, and its national animal, the 'Jitterbug' appeared in a musical scene that was written & filmed for that production but wasn't included in the final 'print' released to cinemas. (I've seen that scene, in a documentary about the film...)

:bear:

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 pm
Thank you for placing it... and for explaining about the coastal strip. I'd already looked at the map before I came here, and was wondering about that point. I'm basically fine with it like it is, as long as whoever gets that area doesn't try too hard to push inland, but with that territory between Emerald City and the coast please could Emerald City be moved slightly further inland? it should probably be about as far from that border as that border is from the sea.

The city's name is a 'Wizard of Oz' reference. The nation name 'LionsAndTigersAndBears' (although the original source had breaks between those words, which the shorter limit on name length back when I created the nation meant that I had to omit here...) and the motto combine to form a quotation from the 1939 film version, and its national animal, the 'Jitterbug' appeared in a musical scene that was written & filmed for that production but wasn't included in the final 'print' released to cinemas. (I've seen that scene, in a documentary about the film...)

:bear:
I will be updating the capital's location as per your request, and will also adjust the nation's territory. The shoreline is now yours due to new developments, and the peninsula is going to be a protectorate of the islands of Ruskayn.

User avatar
Bears Armed
Global Moderator
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Worthing, Sussex, England

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Bears Armed » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Zamastan wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:59 pm
Bears Armed wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 pm
Thank you for placing it... and for explaining about the coastal strip. I'd already looked at the map before I came here, and was wondering about that point. I'm basically fine with it like it is, as long as whoever gets that area doesn't try too hard to push inland, but with that territory between Emerald City and the coast please could Emerald City be moved slightly further inland? it should probably be about as far from that border as that border is from the sea.

The city's name is a 'Wizard of Oz' reference. The nation name 'LionsAndTigersAndBears' (although the original source had breaks between those words, which the shorter limit on name length back when I created the nation meant that I had to omit here...) and the motto combine to form a quotation from the 1939 film version, and its national animal, the 'Jitterbug' appeared in a musical scene that was written & filmed for that production but wasn't included in the final 'print' released to cinemas. (I've seen that scene, in a documentary about the film...)

:bear:
I will be updating the capital's location as per your request, and will also adjust the nation's territory. The shoreline is now yours due to new developments, and the peninsula is going to be a protectorate of the islands of Ruskayn.
Thank you.

User avatar
Shuell
Ingénue
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Shuell » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi, can I have the area roughly around Serriel for my puppet of Iskiram, on the west side of the map?

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Shuell wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:07 pm
Hi, can I have the area roughly around Serriel for my puppet of Iskiram, on the west side of the map?
Gotcha! Thanks for the additional details via discord. Much appreciated, and many welcomes to your puppet!

Osirisa
Mute
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 pm
Location: Ohio, United States

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Osirisa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 am

Hello, I'd like to place an application for two of my puppets

Nation: Juprolia

Capital: Sinzibar

Placement: Those three small islands in the Akpatok Bay if at all possible

Nation: Hazel Islands

Capital: Charlestown

Placement: the chain of islands to the north east of Iskiram please

Thank you.

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:05 am

Osirisa wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 am
Hello, I'd like to place an application for two of my puppets

Nation: Juprolia

Capital: Sinzibar

Placement: Those three small islands in the Akpatok Bay if at all possible

Nation: Hazel Islands

Capital: Charlestown

Placement: the chain of islands to the north east of Iskiram please

Thank you.
Accepted! Nice to see you back here!

User avatar
The Federation of Legionas
Ingénue
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:00 am
Location: Nairobi

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by The Federation of Legionas » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:47 pm

I am very interested in taking over Rhand's territory since he's CTE'd. If the whole territory is too much of an expansion, I'd like to request for a section of it and propose the following:

1. The Federation of Legionas acquires section A(In purple) to be designated as a new Federal Province with two new cities namely Christiania and Port Lützos.
2. The Shen Empire acquires section B(In yellow) if they want it.
3. Section C(In red) to be designated as a territory reserved for any new nation when requested.

Image

Thanks!
In Varietate Concordia

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:36 pm

The Federation of Legionas wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:47 pm
I am very interested in taking over Rhand's territory since he's CTE'd. If the whole territory is too much of an expansion, I'd like to request for a section of it and propose the following:

1. The Federation of Legionas acquires section A(In purple) to be designated as a new Federal Province with two new cities namely Christiania and Port Lützos.
2. The Shen Empire acquires section B(In yellow) if they want it.
3. Section C(In red) to be designated as a territory reserved for any new nation when requested.

Image

Thanks!
We have been discussing this a little bit on the discord server. This was basically my original proposition to separate the land between you and Shen, while many people think it's better to leave the entire place open for another nation. I think we can compromise and work off of your plan, which will allow for reclaiming territory and also ceding land to the two of you!

User avatar
The Federation of Legionas
Ingénue
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:00 am
Location: Nairobi

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by The Federation of Legionas » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:42 am

Great!
In Varietate Concordia

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:23 am

Map update in response to the situation surrounding Rhand's CTE and absence from the region.

The map has been updated, allowing Legionas to claim the entirety of the southern portion of the nation and allowing the northern section to remain blank for future claims.

The decision was based off of community input on Discord.

User avatar
Zamastan
Writer
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Zamastan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:26 am

In other announcements:
I've figured out a way to include "layers" into the map, which would allow people to show individual or combinations of layers, including cities, national boundaries, names, etc. This will work similarly to Google Earth, where you have the option to see labels and boundaries and geographical features.

However, with this said, it may be a while until it is implemented fully. This has been my main focus on the map since it started, and I've run into many hiccups along the way. I'm thankful to say that I think I've discovered a way to implement it in a useful, non-glitchy way.

In addition to these layers, there will be one that will allow for latitudes and longitudes, which will help Bears Armed better determine climate, flora and fauna and other ecosystem-jargen for people who so wish for his help! It will also allow for people to make more realistic determinations to their nation's size, populations, etc. Very helpful tool indeed!

Also in addition, in my favorite feature to the map, there will be icons that, when pressed, will show basic stats for each nation on the map! For example, a logo will appear over Zamastan that will show the following:
- Zamastan's flag
- the name of the nation (The Imperial Republic of Zamastan)
- the population of the nation (103,000,000)
- the head of state (as of now, President Foley Sakzi)
Any other additions may include a brief description of the nation, its culture, climate, landscape, etc.!

I appreciate the positive feedback and patience the large majority of this community has showed me and Gardavasque in this process! As always, any additions you'd like added to your nation, or any requests, questions, concerns, critiques, etc, please feel free to place them here.

I hope these new additions will blend smoothly into the map! I'm excited to see what you all think when they are implemented fully.

Again, there may be a prolonged wait to this reveal as I figure out all the kinks, but as always, I appreciate the patience.
THIS IS POSTPONED - I made an estimation that it would be completed by the end of February, but due to unforeseen circumstances and some personal (yet very important) developments, the time will be pushed back a teeeeeeensy bit further. I have no estimations for time at this point, I'm just happy to have a map that so far appears to be working for everyone, despite how basic it is. I appreciate the patience, as usual!

-Zamastan

User avatar
Gardavasque
Cabinet Minister
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 pm
Location: California

Re: OFFICIAL MAP 2019 - SOAP (Suggestions, Opinions, Applications, and Polls)

Post by Gardavasque » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:34 am

We are grateful to Zamastan for serving as Regional Cartographer and for the the hours of time and effort invested into the IDU Map. Now that Zamastan has relocated to another region, I, Gardavasque, am humbly accepting the position of Regional Cartographer. I pledge to do my best to keep up with additions and changes to the map on a regular basis. My goal will be to provide Map updates on the 15th of each month. If you are new to the IDU and would like to be placed on the map, this is how to go about doing that...

If you are already on the map and would like to request a change, use the same process described below.

Applications Process
For the time being, the application process will be kept relatively simple. To apply for a place on the map, please first familiarize yourself with the map policies on this thread: https://theidu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2088.
Then submit a reply in this forum that includes your nation(s), capital city name(s), and single-sentence description of where you want to be placed. If you are requesting a space that borders another nation(s), ask the other nations(s) to indicate their consent by commenting "Yes."

We will use this forum thread for all "official" communications about the map. If we happen to chat about something map-related on Discord, assume I'm likely to forget anything I agreed to, and follow up with a comment on the forum. If you place a request on the forum and more than a month passes without being acknowledged, please feel free to contact me by Telegram or on Discord.

Post Reply