Official Map 2020 - IDU Ministry of Cartography

Maps, flags, and national information. OOC national development
Gardavasque
Cabinet Minister

Official Map 2020 - IDU Ministry of Cartography

Post by Gardavasque » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:20 pm

Please click here for the latest version of the map.

Please click here for the Map Request Log.

Please click here for IDU Map Gazetteer.

Welcome to the IDU Ministry of Cartography. We have recently relocated to a new office building in downtown Democracity, so the information from the former "Official Map 2019" and "Official Map 2019 SOAP" threads will be combined into a single thread here moving forward.

Our mission is to provide and maintain a reliable map available to all IDU residents, inclusive of players and puppets, that facilitates fun, active role-play, nation-building, and diplomacy. In service to the region, we will attempt to maintain regular updates to the map on the 15th of each month as needed. In the interest of transparency, the Ministry of Cartography will use this thread for all formal map requests and communications. A new feature added this year is a log of expected map updates will be made publicly available.

We intend this map to be a stabilizing factor for IDU relations, and therefore a review of map guidelines would be in order:

Q: I'm new here. How do I get on the map?
Welcome! Once you have familiarized yourself with these map guidelines, submit your reply in this forum that includes:
Nation Name: [YOUR NATION NAME]
Puppet: [Yes/No]
Puppet of: [MAIN NATION NAME]
Capital City: [CAPITAL CITY]
Border Nations: [PLEASE TAG ANY NATIONS YOU ARE REQUESTING A BORDER WITH]
Description of Map Placement:[BRIEF TEXT DESCRIPTION INCLUDING CONTINENT, COASTLINE, RELATIVE POSITION]
Description of Capital City Placement: [BRIEF TEXT DESCRIPTION OF LOCATION OF CAPITAL CITY WITHIN YOUR NATION]
If you are requesting a space that borders another nation(s), ask the other nations(s) to indicate their consent by commenting "Yes" in a reply to your request thread.

Q: What determines a nation's eligibility to be granted a place on the map? (Ex: Does IDU ejection = automatic removal from map? Is there a residency requirement? Does residency correlate with size of nation? Does residency correlate with preference of map placement?)
A nation can be placed on the map regardless of how large or small their NS population is or how much they participate in IDU affairs. However, their nation needs to have been in the IDU for at least a month before being placed on the map - we want the IDU to be an active region! Part of how you can help your chances of being placed on the map more quickly and more acutely to your preferred spot is to be active! Use the RMB! Post in our forums! Otherwise, simply make a request for where you'd like to be placed, and we will do our best to accommodate you. Length of residency will affect how large your nation is, unless deemed otherwise by the Ministry of Cartography.

If at any point your nation is ejected from the IDU, however, for proven wrong-doings, your nation will be removed from the map.

Q: Are puppet nations limited differently than main nations? (Limit to number of puppets? How frequently can a main nation change their puppet placements?)
4 Puppets are allowed (total of 5 nations), but not all at the same request. 2 nations of yours can be allowed in each request, and after that, you'll need to wait for a few months for a change.

What if a nation Ceases to Exist (CTE)? How will their status affect their eligibility for map placement?
If a nation ceases to exist, the Ministry of Cartography will wait for at least a month to remove them. We understand that real life takes priority over roleplaying online, and as such, we don't want to penalize you for not being active.

Q: How much influence will a user have to determine their map location? (ex: applicant specifies a pre-determined plot, applicant specifies a desired feature, applicant gives approximate latitude, Applicant just takes what they get)
The map is completely open, with no plots. That said, the Ministry of Cartography will deem what is realistic and reasonable for nation size. Over-sized nations are typically going to be denied if nations are brand new and haven't participated much in the region. It is also important to remember that a nation's territory does not necessarily reflect it's prominence or power.

Q: How much influence will a user have to determine their national boundaries? (ex: boundaries drawn at time map is released, boundaries determined at time of map placement, applicant determines boundaries, cartographer determines boundaries?
Make a request for where you would like to be placed, and if you would like to border another nation, make sure to clearly name which nation(s) you intend to border. Kindly ask any bordering nations to indicate their consent by commenting "Yes" or "Agreed" on the Thread where your request is made. We live in the 21st Century (well most of us) and obtaining consent before making a move is the expected norm.

Q: How will unclaimed areas on the map be thought of (ex: wild-lands?, indigenous lands?, unexplored?, existing non-player nations?, existing non-IDU nations?, Not explained?)
We as cartographers consider it to be wild-lands and unexplored territory, fit for modification once a nation claims territory.

Q: How about the naming of Oceans, Continents, etc. that would be common to all players (Ex: reuse old names, vote for new names, Ministry of Cartography nominates)
The Ministry of Cartography will provide opportunities for input with periodic polls that will clarify geographic locations common to all nations. We will also maintain a Gazetteer as a resource for suggested geographic place names.

Q: What if I can't access the Current Map. What if the link to the Gazetteer or Map Request Log don't work? What if I can't access the documents on my computer?
Oops, our bad. Please communicate directly with Gardavasque, Regional Cartographer, via Telegram, Discord Server, or Regional Message Board if you have technical issues. We are here to serve, but keep in mind, we are a government bureaucracy, so know we will do our best to get it fixed as soon as reasonably possible.

Happy Nation-building and role-playing.
Last edited by Gardavasque on Sat May 16, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Federation of Legionas
Ingénue

Re: Official Map 2020 - IDU Ministry of Cartography

Post by The Federation of Legionas » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Greetings,

The Federation of Legionas is requesting an expansion of its current territory due to the recent dissolution of the Shen Empire as well as to reduce congestion in urban areas such as Bayview, Verdesia and Moense.

This is the area that the Federation of Legionas is requesting, to be incorporated into the nation as two brand new provinces.

Thank you, that is all.

(Nice office btw.)
In Varietate Concordia

Gardavasque
Cabinet Minister

Post by Gardavasque » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:02 pm

Thank you for your request, Legionas; I'll be glad to include this in the next map update. Since a portion of your claim borders on Arcadia Dazeber would you mind askind them to comment here was a "Yes" indicating their consent?
The Federation of Legionas wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:52 pm
Greetings,

The Federation of Legionas is requesting an expansion of its current territory due to the recent dissolution of the Shen Empire as well as to reduce congestion in urban areas such as Bayview, Verdesia and Moense.

This is the area that the Federation of Legionas is requesting, to be incorporated into the nation as two brand new provinces.

Thank you, that is all.

(Nice office btw.)

The Federation of Legionas
Ingénue

Post by The Federation of Legionas » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 pm

I'll see to it. Thanks
In Varietate Concordia

Arcadia Dazeber
Ingénue

Post by Arcadia Dazeber » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Hello,

The Empire of Arcadia-Dazeber agree's with the border changes that Legionas presents.

In other things I request the area that Empire of Arcadia-Dazeber is requesting be incorporated into the empire.

Thank you.

Laeral
Global Moderator

Post by Laeral » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Greetings,

I'd like to offer a few thoughts and suggestions regarding the recent changes to the map following the abrupt departure of Shen, Zamastan, etc. I'm recognizing the need to clear the map to ensure that inactive players are no longer taking up space that could be allocated to new players and new nations. However, Shen and Zamastan in particular were very active nations with a significant footprint in regional RP, and as a result they both make numerous appearances in other nations' canon- for instance, Zamastan is a major player in the Vulkaria RP, Shen plays an important role in Laeral's early history, and both feature in the narrative of the Maivers Conference roleplay of December 2019. Therefore, I'd like to suggest a compromise- that, as a result of the departure of these nations, we downsize their size on the map significantly, but retain a "remnant" or "rump" state which will preserve a marker of their presence on the map for the sake of RP. I would suggest that we retain Shen, Zamastan, and Vulkaria on the map, but reduce them in size, by around 1/2 or 2/3rds. This means that these nations will still be on the map to be referenced in roleplay, but that the majority of their territory will be freed up for new nations. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Laeral

Laeral
Global Moderator

Post by Laeral » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 pm

Oh, and another thing: The Allied Cities, while nominally a Shen puppet, actually became something of a communal puppet, with parts of the nation being roleplayed as parts of various surrounding nations, as can be seen at the Allied Cities wiki page. As such, I think it should remain on the map as it was before Shen departed.

Gardavasque
Cabinet Minister

Post by Gardavasque » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:08 am

Laeral wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:41 pm
Oh, and another thing: The Allied Cities, while nominally a Shen puppet, actually became something of a communal puppet, with parts of the nation being roleplayed as parts of various surrounding nations, as can be seen at the Allied Cities wiki page. As such, I think it should remain on the map as it was before Shen departed.
I'm not opposed; in fact I'm grateful for the question. Having former nations erased presents a continuity issue for historical role plays involving them. The purpose of the map (as I understand it) is to facilitate role play, removing obstacles that make it difficult to write current international events into history. How do we account for nations that vanish in the narrative of our own nations that are left behind to grieve the loss? Are there other ways of addressing this issue other than keeping them on the map? What happens to that narrative when a new nation claims the former territory of a CTE'd or moved away nation?

Perhaps this can be submitted as a poll: I would very much like from other nations on this idea. In addition to leaving them on the map in reduced form, are there other ways to indicate what was but no longer is? Perhaps a "historical map" or some other contrivance? Ideas please...

Xiomera
Vice Delegate

Post by Xiomera » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:54 am

I would prefer to leave nations that had a significant RP presence, particularly those whose histories are intertwined with those of other nations, on the map in some capacity. Laeral's idea of leaving them on the map while reducing their size is a sound one to me. Nations who had little to no RP presence, and aren't part of the histories of other nations, who CTE can (and should) be removed without issue, I think. But nations that are part of other nations' backstories and history, such as Shen and Zamastan, should remain present to some degree.

Lauchenoiria
Senior Moderator

Post by Lauchenoiria » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:36 pm

On this conversation, I have no issue with some nations being kept on the map...but if someone leaves or is removed from the region for doing something wrong which caused harm to other members of the region, then keeping them on the map could cause distress to the recipients of that harm.

Gonhog
Ingénue

Post by Gonhog » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:41 am

About time I got on this new map :)

Nation Name: Gonhog
Puppet: No
Capital City: Jaken City
Border Nations: N/A
Request:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 2/Ghog.png

Capital is dot with circle around it.
Other cities (the other dots; from left to right): Jarnhamn, Vellige, Sigtuna, Kalmar

Latidonia
Mute

Post by Latidonia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Nation name: Latidonia
Capital: Latidonia (Latidonia is a city-state)
Border nations: None
Request:
SpoilerShow
Capital:
SpoilerShow
Thank you!

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Speaker

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Sat May 09, 2020 4:28 am

Will the map be able to be zoomed in on in a future update?

Agutrerra
Mute

Post by Agutrerra » Fri May 15, 2020 1:16 am

Now that it's been a month, here is my proper map request:

Country - Agutrerra

Capital City - Agutrerra

Location - https://imgur.com/Ka1pmpM (reduced border to the black line).

I am requesting to border Lauchenoiria and Kvask, and will be contacting them on Discord.

Gardavasque
Cabinet Minister

Post by Gardavasque » Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 am

Libertas Omnium Maximus wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:28 am
Can you describe what you mean by "Zoomable?" Are you having difficulty zooming in to see detail?

Gardavasque
Cabinet Minister

Post by Gardavasque » Sat May 16, 2020 10:36 pm

Agutrerra wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:16 am
Now that it's been a month, here is my proper map request:

Country - Agutrerra

Capital City - Agutrerra

Location - https://imgur.com/Ka1pmpM (reduced border to the black line).

I am requesting to border Lauchenoiria and Kvask, and will be contacting them on Discord.
Thank you for your revised request. You've been placed on the map in the general area requested, however, I avoided (for now) having your territory bordering on any neighbors, pending their consent. Also, since your claim overlapped with Latidonia, I decided to grant them the island. If there was a specific purpose you wanted control of an archipelago somewhere please let me know.

Shuell
Ingénue

Post by Shuell » Sat May 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Nation Name: Federal Republic of Otika
Puppet: Yes
Puppet of: Shuell
Capital City: PZMNY
Border Nations:
Description of Map Placement: I have a picture.
Description of Capital City Placement: See below.
Picture: https://imgur.com/a/mwSPKrw
Note: It's been slightly over 3 months since my last application. I believe this was enough time?

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Speaker

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Sun May 17, 2020 1:32 am

Gardavasque wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 am
Libertas Omnium Maximus wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:28 am
Can you describe what you mean by "Zoomable?" Are you having difficulty zooming in to see detail?
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm wondering if we will be able to zoom in on the map to better see detail. This could be an issue on my end.

Ponoxien
Mute

Post by Ponoxien » Sun May 17, 2020 8:34 am

Nation Name: Ponoxien
Puppet of: N/A
Capital City: Lendentiae
Border Nations: None (I think? Do Eira, Cape Auria, or Milintica count as bordering?)
Description of Map Placement: The large island located near the Gulf of Yukoni, along with the nearby island chain and part of the nearby peninsula.
Description of Capital City Placement: Located at the point of inaccessibility on the largest island.
Map RequestShow
The circle represents the capital city of Lendentiae, which I have eyeballed as the point of inaccessibility. It doesn't really matter if that's the actual point or not.

My main request is for the large island. The island chain is a secondary concern, and the part of the peninsula is my lowest priority. So if it turns out that this claim is too large, that is how I would want it to be reduced, if possible.

Agutrerra
Mute

Post by Agutrerra » Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm

I received permission from Kvask only.