Delegacy Elections Bill

Our regional legislature - IDUSA.
Sanctaria
Site Admin

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Sanctaria » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:19 pm

The Regional Charter states that there must be elections for the position of Delegate at least once a year, and that IDUSA may create bylaws for the region, including the regulation of the frequency of elections.

I would like to submit the following.

<table><tr><td><big><big>The Delegacy Elections Act</big></big>
A bylaw to regulate the frequency and administration of elections in the IDU

The International Democratic Union States Assembly,

THANKFUL for the democratic reality that we utilise elections to choose our leader,

COGNISANT that, in a healthy democracy, elections are held at reasonable lengths,

BELIEVING that the maximum of 1 year between elections, as permitted by the Regional Charter, is overly generous,

Hereby Resolves the Following

?1 Frequency and Oversight

?1.1 There shall be elections for Delegate every four months;

?1.2 The Speaker of IDUSA, on behalf of IDUSA, shall oversee candidacy declarations, the voting process, and the declaration of the winner;

?1.3 The Speaker must appoint a proxy to fulfil their obligations as outlined in ?1.2 should they themselves be a candidate for Delegate;

?1.4 In accordance with the Charter, IDUSA shall call elections for the office of Delegate if the office is vacated, either through resignation, inactivity, or impeachment;

?1.5 The election processes detailed below in ??2-4, as well as those detailed above in ??1.1 - 1.3, shall apply for the elections held in accordance with ?1.4;

?1.6 Elections held under ?1.4 shall be considered Special Elections and shall be separate to those elections detailed in ?1.1;

?1.7 Delegates elected via Special Elections shall only serve until the next scheduled elections, as detailed in ?2.1;

?1.8 Should the Delegacy be vacated, as defined in ?1.4, within two (2) weeks of the next scheduled elections, as detailed in ?2.1, the office shall remain vacant and the duties of the office fulfilled by the Vice Delegate, or failing the existence of the Vice Delegate another Cabinet officer who is a World Assembly member, until the next scheduled elections have ended and a new Delegate elected;

?2 Election Process

?2.1 Voting for the office of Delegate will begin on January 1st, May 1st, and September 1st;

?2.2 Nominations for candidacy for the office of Delegate shall open not more than one (1) week prior to the opening of voting, as defined in ?2.1 above, and that nominations shall close the day before the opening of voting;

?2.3 While voting shall begin as specified in ?2.1, it shall last no more than five (5) days, and no less than three (3) days;

?2.4 The use of any polls to count, tally, or otherwise collate the votes cast in the election of Delegate shall be forbidden;

?2.5 In accordance with the Regional Charter each nation of IDUSA is allocated one (1) vote, and the usage of puppet states in the voting process is forbidden;

?2.6 The Speaker, or their proxy as specified in ?1.3, will ensure that all votes be cast in public to verify that (a) fraud has not occurred, and (b) that puppet states have not been utilised;

?3 Results and Run-offs

?3.1 The Speaker, or their proxy as specified in ?1.3, shall announce the results of the election promptly after the voting period, as outlined in ?2.3, has ended;

?3.2 The candidate with the most votes shall be declared the winner and Delegate;

?3.3 Should there be a tie between the candidates polling the highest number of votes, a run-off election shall be held;

?3.4 The run-off election shall begin the day after the results have been announced, in accordance with ?3.1, and shall last three (3) days;

?3.5 Should the run-off election result in yet another equal number of votes between the two highest polling candidates, length of continuous and non-broken membership of IDUSA shall be considered the tie-breaker;

?3.6 Should the two highest polling candidates have both an equal number of votes, and an equal length of service in IDUSA as set forth by ?3.5, the candidate who has resided the longest in the IDU, without a break, shall be declared the winner;

?3.7 The candidate who receives the second highest number of votes, immediately behind the Delegate, shall be declared the Vice Delegate;

?3.8 Should no candidate exist, or should there be a tie between candidates holding the second highest number of votes, the Delegate shall have discretion in choosing the Vice Delegate;

?4 Regulations

?4.1 Only member nations of IDUSA who are also members of the World Assembly shall be eligible to be a candidate for, and hold the office of, Delegate;

?4.2 Any allegations of impropriety, fraud, or malfeasance, shall be referred to the IDU Judiciary Committee;

?4.3 Any serving member of the IDU Judiciary Committee who is a candidate, the Speaker, or the outgoing Delegate, shall not be permitted to hear the case, and shall recuse themselves from it.</td></tr></table>

Laeral

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Laeral » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:32 pm

I have a few suggestions which I feel would improve the bill prior to voting:
-On 1.3, I would suggest noting that the proxy must be an IDUSA member
-On 1.8, I would suggest extending the line of succession- Delegate to Vice-Delegate to Foreign Minister
-On 2.2, I would suggest increasing the period of nomination to 2 weeks
-If clause 2.4 is in place, how would voting take place? Are you advocating that voting take place on the offsite forum only? I personally feel that elections should continue to take place on the IDU regional page via a poll, rather than on the forum, because it is easier to keep track of who has voted, as well as easier to vote in the first place. I do support clause 2.6, however.
-I think that this Bill needs a section on how transitions would work, so that we can avoid the confusion that happened in the last election. Sciongrad resigned from the WA and then rejoined, resetting his endorsement count to 0. I was fourth for number of endorsements, behind Sciongrad, Bears Armed Mission, and Grosseschnauzer. Sciongrad and I both unendorsed BAM and Grosseschnauzer without notifying them beforehand, resulting in Grosseschnauzer becoming upset that he had not been notified before he was unendorsed. Grosseschnauzer then unendorsed me, allowing Comhar to become the delegate for several hours 11 days later before order was reestablished.

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Sanctaria » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>On 1.3, I would suggest noting that the proxy must be an IDUSA member[/quote]
Sure.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>On 1.8, I would suggest extending the line of succession- Delegate to Vice-Delegate to Foreign Minister[/quote]
I don't want to go into that much specification for what would, essentially be, only a 2-3 week period. Most cabinet officials are just behind the Delegate and Vice Delegate in terms of endorsements, so by not specifying which Cabinet member specifically holds it, it means there doesn't have to be an unnecessary endo-tarting campaign.

Leaving it as "another Cabinet officer" also means that we can later on pass a Line of Succession Bill, or its equivalent, without having to amend this piece of legislation.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I would suggest increasing the period of nomination to 2 weeks[/quote]
2 weeks is far, far too long. Way too long. No other region has a period of time quite like that, and since we are a small region, we definitely don't.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>If clause 2.4 is in place, how would voting take place? Are you advocating that voting take place on the offsite forum only? I personally feel that elections should continue to take place on the IDU regional page via a poll, rather than on the forum, because it is easier to keep track of who has voted, as well as easier to vote in the first place. I do support clause 2.6, however.[/quote]
So there's a few things here.

Firstly, the Delegate has to be elected by IDUSA members as per the Charter. There is no mask for IDUSA members on the gameside, while there is one set up here on the forum.

Secondly, because it has to be elected by IDUSA, that would suggest using the IDUSA forum, not the gameside poll.

Thirdly, polls are unreliable because we, as a region, can't prevent multi-ing etc on the gameside (the Mods may not catch everyone in time, even if they were looking, which they may not be necessarily), further WAs can move in and abuse the gameside polling options.

In terms of the forum, polling is anonymous, which means that we can't keep track of who voted for what if it's done only by poll, again meaning we can't prevent abuse of the system. By making everyone who is voting cast their vote in public, on the forum, we can verify easily enough.

Finally, traditionally elections were done here on the forum, not on the gameside. So in fact, we would be reverting to the original method.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I think that this Bill needs a section on how transitions would work, so that we can avoid the confusion that happened in the last election. Sciongrad resigned from the WA and then rejoined, resetting his endorsement count to 0. I was fourth for number of endorsements, behind Sciongrad, Bears Armed Mission, and Grosseschnauzer. Sciongrad and I both unendorsed BAM and Grosseschnauzer without notifying them beforehand, resulting in Grosseschnauzer becoming upset that he had not been notified before he was unendorsed. Grosseschnauzer then unendorsed me, allowing Comhar to become the delegate for several hours 11 days later before order was reestablished.[/quote]
I can't regulate transitions, since that's up to behaviour on the gameside. Some people gameside aren't involved on the forums, so I can't regulate their behaviour. Look at all the WA people who endorsed you recently, have they looked at this? Will they? Unlikely.

There are always problems with transitions, it's just part and parcel of the game mechanics.

Laeral

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Laeral » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:12 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sanctaria</dt><dd>Oct 2 2017, 09:39:42 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>On 1.3, I would suggest noting that the proxy must be an IDUSA member[/quote]
Sure.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>On 1.8, I would suggest extending the line of succession- Delegate to Vice-Delegate to Foreign Minister[/quote]
I don't want to go into that much specification for what would, essentially be, only a 2-3 week period. Most cabinet officials are just behind the Delegate and Vice Delegate in terms of endorsements, so by not specifying which Cabinet member specifically holds it, it means there doesn't have to be an unnecessary endo-tarting campaign.

Leaving it as "another Cabinet officer" also means that we can later on pass a Line of Succession Bill, or its equivalent, without having to amend this piece of legislation.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I would suggest increasing the period of nomination to 2 weeks[/quote]
2 weeks is far, far too long. Way too long. No other region has a period of time quite like that, and since we are a small region, we definitely don't.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>If clause 2.4 is in place, how would voting take place? Are you advocating that voting take place on the offsite forum only? I personally feel that elections should continue to take place on the IDU regional page via a poll, rather than on the forum, because it is easier to keep track of who has voted, as well as easier to vote in the first place. I do support clause 2.6, however.[/quote]
So there's a few things here.

Firstly, the Delegate has to be elected by IDUSA members as per the Charter. There is no mask for IDUSA members on the gameside, while there is one set up here on the forum.

Secondly, because it has to be elected by IDUSA, that would suggest using the IDUSA forum, not the gameside poll.

Thirdly, polls are unreliable because we, as a region, can't prevent multi-ing etc on the gameside (the Mods may not catch everyone in time, even if they were looking, which they may not be necessarily), further WAs can move in and abuse the gameside polling options.

In terms of the forum, polling is anonymous, which means that we can't keep track of who voted for what if it's done only by poll, again meaning we can't prevent abuse of the system. By making everyone who is voting cast their vote in public, on the forum, we can verify easily enough.

Finally, traditionally elections were done here on the forum, not on the gameside. So in fact, we would be reverting to the original method.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I think that this Bill needs a section on how transitions would work, so that we can avoid the confusion that happened in the last election. Sciongrad resigned from the WA and then rejoined, resetting his endorsement count to 0. I was fourth for number of endorsements, behind Sciongrad, Bears Armed Mission, and Grosseschnauzer. Sciongrad and I both unendorsed BAM and Grosseschnauzer without notifying them beforehand, resulting in Grosseschnauzer becoming upset that he had not been notified before he was unendorsed. Grosseschnauzer then unendorsed me, allowing Comhar to become the delegate for several hours 11 days later before order was reestablished.[/quote]
I can't regulate transitions, since that's up to behaviour on the gameside. Some people gameside aren't involved on the forums, so I can't regulate their behaviour. Look at all the WA people who endorsed you recently, have they looked at this? Will they? Unlikely.

There are always problems with transitions, it's just part and parcel of the game mechanics.[/quote]<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Leaving it as "another Cabinet officer" also means that we can later on pass a Line of Succession Bill, or its equivalent, without having to amend this piece of legislation.[/quote]
That sounds good.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>So there's a few things here.

Finally, traditionally elections were done here on the forum, not on the gameside. So in fact, we would be reverting to the original method.[/quote]
We conducted the most recent Delegate election via a poll gameside. By clicking on the 'Voters' tab of a poll, it is possible to see who voted for each option at a glance. So the gameside polls are not, in fact, anonymous. So all that would need to be done is to make the poll with the candidates listed, and then, once the vote is done, look at who voted for each option and ignore all votes that did not come from IDUSA members. It's important to note that in the last IDUSA vote that was held, turnout was 9 out of 13 members. I think that we could increase that.

As for transitions, I think that we need some framework for how it would happen. Does the outgoing Delegate resign from the WA, or do we do an endorsement transition?

Also, if this bill passed, I assume that we would hold the next election January 1st?

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Sanctaria » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:35 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Laeral</dt><dd>Oct 3 2017, 04:12:29 PM</dd></dl><div>We conducted the most recent Delegate election via a poll gameside. By clicking on the 'Voters' tab of a poll, it is possible to see who voted for each option at a glance. So the gameside polls are not, in fact, anonymous. So all that would need to be done is to make the poll with the candidates listed, and then, once the vote is done, look at who voted for each option and ignore all votes that did not come from IDUSA members. It's important to note that in the last IDUSA vote that was held, turnout was 9 out of 13 members. I think that we could increase that.[/quote]You're wanting to put more work into elections than is necessary.

I am aware that the most recent Delegate election was done via gameside poll - I do not agree with holding elections via the gameside poll. We have a forum which provides not only a platform to hold the election, but count the votes, host campaigning and debate threads, and also ensure security around who is voting due to the checks in place by the Forum Administration team.

The problem with polls on the forum is anonymity. The problem with polls on the gameside is anyone can vote, and we can't tell if someone is multi-ing if the Mods haven't caught them. It's not secure.

So your response which is, we can just check the votes and count them against the IDUSA members and discard those who aren't IDUSA members is more work and means you just have to come to the forum anyway.

Plus you're discounting votes, which you really shouldn't be doing in an election anyway. It's bad optics.

Plus, it being on the forum recorded by a written version of voice vote means there is forever a record of who voted for whom, in case anyone ever needed to go back and check, or in case someone wanted to check when the last election was, or in case someone wanted to ensure that X Delegate was elected fairly. Once a gameside poll ends and is replaced with something else, that record is gone.

It's much easier to just ask people to post on the forum as opposed to doing 5 different things gameside AND forumside to vote, check, tally, and keep a record of the votes.

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Sanctaria » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Laeral</dt><dd>Oct 3 2017, 04:12:29 PM</dd></dl><div>As for transitions, I think that we need some framework for how it would happen. Does the outgoing Delegate resign from the WA, or do we do an endorsement transition?

Also, if this bill passed, I assume that we would hold the next election January 1st?

[/quote]I would be hesitant to put into law that we force someone to drop WA, even if it is Delegate.

I could perhaps think of some language urging the outgoing Delegate to help the transitions via endorsement campaigns etc, or any other means they see fit.

And yes, January 1st would be the next day we vote, but nominations would be opened around Xmas so that we can start voting January 1st.

The free stuff

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by The free stuff » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't have any serious problems with this bill, though it is currently fairly unknown. I would probably recommend maybe sending a telegram to other IDUSA members to raise interest in the bill.

Sanctaria
Site Admin

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Sanctaria » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:06 pm

It's been posted a few times on the RMB. In the past month.

Libertas Omnium Maximus

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:25 pm

I would like to submit my aplicTion to the IDUSA

Comhar

Delegacy Elections Bill

Post by Comhar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Is there a reasoning for the quarterly elections? I was thinking every 6 months might be more appropriate, based on the number of active members in the IDU, and no one really stepping up recently as a candidate.

I would consider running for delegate, but I am not sure of the responsibilities of the position and the time commitment required.