Difference between revisions of "North's Last Stand"

From IDUwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 71: Line 71:
[[Category: 1991 Bjeorg Conflict]]
[[Category: 1991 Bjeorg Conflict]]
[[Category: Battles]]
[[Category: Battles]]
[[Category: Confrontations of the 1991 Bjeorg Conflict]]

Latest revision as of 04:30, 10 September 2019

North's Last Stand
Part of The Battle of the Strait of St. Peter, 1991 Bjeorg Conflict
DateJuly 28th, 1991
LocationNorthern Strait of St. Peter
Result Maximusian Victory
LOMFlag2019.png Libertas Omnium Maximus Fakeflag-gg1-ao3-alt1-dy3.png Bjeorgite Revolutionaries
Commanders and leaders
Fakeflag-gg1-ao3-alt1-dy3.png Admiral William North (KIA)
Units involved
two cruisers, one frigate, one corvette two frigates, one corvette
Casualties and losses
35 Wounded, 15 Dead Sailors, Extensive Damage to Cruiser 152 Wounded, 84 Dead Sailors, Loss of Frigate, Extensive Damage to Corvette

North's Last Stand was a naval confrontation during the larger Battle of the Strait of St. Peter, between Maximusian and Bjeorgite forces. It was a precursory battle to the 1991 Bjeorg Conflict. The confrontation took place in the early morning of July 28th, 1991. It is considered to be the last confrontation before the official start of the war. During the battle one ship was sunk and two were disabled. North's Last Stand was a victory for the Maximusians but proved to be a pyrrhic one as they encountered unexpectedly high resistance.


After declaring their independence from Libertas Omnium Maximus, the Bjeorg revolutionaries were left with very few military resources. They were only able to assemble a fleet of three small warships to blockade the north entrance of The Strait of St. Peter. Keeping the strait in control of the revolutionaries was a paramount objective in the fight for independency.

After some skirmishing in the south portion of the strait, Zamastanian and the defending Eirian fleet was deadlocked in place. The fate of the territory remained contested. In response, the Maximsuians launched a small armada from St. Augustine, consisting of two cruisers, one frigate, and one corvette, to break through the northern blockade.

The Confrontation[edit]

Opening Shots[edit]

The opening shots of the confrontation were fired at 7:01 AM. Eye witness accounts hold the opinion that it was the Maximusians who opened fire first however within a matter of seconds all involved warships were firing. The second Bjeorg Frigate, the BNS Spjut, went far to the east while the Månsten veered far to the west. This was in order to create a situation where all three vessels could broadside the Maximusians. This was an incredibly risky maneuver as it gave the Maximusians a much bigger target but is today considered by historians to be a brilliant move as it distributed damage quite well to each of the opposing ships. The Maximusians invariably unloaded on the ships and damaged the hull of Spjut critically. It was forced to move east of the combat.

Disabling of the BNS Månsten[edit]

In order to give the BNS Kiln more maneuvering room, the corvette BNS Månsten veered even further to the west side of the battle zone, running in very shallow water. At 7:26 AM a missile detonated after impacting the Månsten's lower stern. The missile's impact and subsequent detonation was sufficient to destroy the vessel's starboard propeller and the ship veered hard to the west. Before the captain could regain control of the ship, the Månsten collided with a sandbar and ran aground. Unable to reverse off the sandbar due to extensive engine damage as a result of an earlier missile, the ship was stranded and unable to further aid its fellow ships after they moved out of range in the following minutes.

Destruction of the BNS Kiln[edit]

After the Månsten was grounded and the Spjut damaged, all four Maximusian ships were able to quickly land decisive blows on the Kiln. In a last ditch effort to inflict further injury upon the Maximusian fleet, the Kiln realigned itself and attempted to break to the west of the Maximusian fleet. This was a highly successful maneuver as the Kiln was able to land a crippling blow to the Maximusian fleet's flagship. Eventually, however, the Maximusian frigate was able to broadside the Kiln. This salvo destroyed the bridge, killing Admiral William North and most of his officer. The hull was also critically damaged as a result of the salvo and ruptured soon after. The order to abandon ship was given at 7:31 and the ship sunk completely only five minutes later.


With the battle lost, the Spjut raised its white flag and began traveling in a holding pattern. The Månsten also raised its white flag around the time of the Kiln's sinking. The Maximusian fleet, seeing that their flagship was damaged beyond repair, proceeded south on their original course after transferring officers and crew members. The damaged flagship slowly made its way back to St. Augustine.

Seeing that the water was calm and the Månsten and Spjut were in close proximity, the Maximusian fleet did not pick up the surviving sailors of the Kiln. All stranded crew members were rescued by the Spjut or were able to swim to the stranded-but-intact BNS Månsten.


With the north section of the Strait of St. Peter left completely unguarded, the Maximusian fleet was able to send for reinforcement ships and occupy the strait. With both exits blocked off, the Eirian fleet present in the center of the strait was trapped. This shift of control also made an amphibious landing by the Maximusians feasible. On July 30th, 1991, the Maximusians did, in fact, carry out an amphibious landing in Martin, Bjeorg.